The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when measuring these parameters with my liquid test kit it is telling me to multiply drops by 20 or by 10 to get my number. Yes, when I look at websites for what shrimp want in the category of GH and KH the numbers are in the single digit realm.....

Does this make sense to anyone? I have ordered the API test strips but they won't arrive for a week or so....

any clarification would be great

Thank you
b

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The number of drops to change to the color are your dgh or dkh. The multiply is most likely to get a number in ppm. How many drops did it take for each one to change? I forget the colors off hand.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I purchased the Nutrafin kit as someone said on this forum it was best.....

one was 3-4 drops
The other was 2-3

of course my notes are at home.

Bump: which means I probably need to start mineralizing my ro water in those shrimp tanks..

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Ok take the number of drops and multiply as instructed. Take that result and divide by 17.9 to get your result in degrees instead of ppm. Lets say you used 3 drops to test gh. According to the instructions 3*20 would be 60ppm. The conversion gives you 3.3dgh. Lets say you used 5 drops for kh. According to instructions that would be 5*10 and the answer is 50 ppm and after the conversion 2.79 dkh. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
It depends on the shrimp you keep.

3 drops for both KH and GH would mean you have....
KH of 1.68 dKH (30ppm)
GH 3.36 dGH (60 ppm).

Those seem fine to me for most shrimp. However, it really depends on the variety.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am just learning with Neocardina's right now...
but thank you for the great information....

I'm going to go measure right now...

Bump: ok my 29 gal with "blue dreams"
is gh 4.4 and kh 1.1

I'll have to go read up to see if that is ok for those guys...

ph is 7.2
tds- 151

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
What units does your test kit report?
A raw number does not tell you anything.
GH & KH are measured in several ways. Please tell us whether the numbers are German degrees of hardness, parts per million, milligrams per liter or something else.
There is a kit (I forget which) that changes color at some intermediate value and you do need to do some math to figure out the result. Almost all are better, and change color in a way that reports either ppm or German degrees of hardness. These are both value d results. Doing math to go from one to the other is optional.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.