The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard that keyholes are pretty good in community tanks(i have angels, rainbows, plecos...) and my lfs had some for sale. Does anyone have any experiences with these? Are they good for 6.8-7 ph and 80 degrees? My lfs is selling them for 7.99. is that a good price or too high?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also, when these get to their full grown state, will they take up alot of room?

What should be the male to female ratio?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I loved mine - lots of personality. They are a bit pricey for such a dull-colored fish, and I didn't get much more in trade-in for mine once they were full grown (I'm a sucker for pretty angelfish - so to put more in the tank I had to lose the keyholes). They don't get too big - full size is about 3-4". Your pH and temp are about the same as mine. I only had two and they were fine - so a group is not a requirement. Not sure if I had two of the same sex or if they were a pair - never acted like mates though.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well if anyone else knows about the male to female ratio let me know...

·
Registered
35 Posts
If it were me and wanting to keep more than two (if two then it would be a pair) then I'd stick with more females than males to be safe. But a pair should be fine.

I kept them ages ago - they're really sweet little cichlids!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok well ill do a pair...do you think that I will enjoy these guys? If you look at my stock list you see what I enjoy already....is $7.99 a good price?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
ok well ill do a pair...do you think that I will enjoy these guys? If you look at my stock list you see what I enjoy already....is $7.99 a good price?
I bought four trying to get a pair. They came from different places; so, I hope they aren't related. I found one dead about a month later but I couldn't figure why at the time. Then several months later, I saw one that was scared and hiding. It's sad, but it was dead the next day. Now I have two that are a pair. The male is very friendly. He always greets me and wants food. The female is very timid and only comes out to eat about every other day. They're neat cichlids but they don't have the really friendly personality of Bolivian Rams. I paid $3.99 for my Keyhole Cichlids.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts