The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
Yea pretty sure they were showing the XR15W rather than the XR15FW. The FW can be quite warm
SPECTRA

Odd thing is, using the cool white, yellow and deep red you can STILL drive the k to 4740....................

IF I was a suspicious person I'd question the LFS's credibility..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am also considering changing lights on my 36 in 50 gal. Right now I have a prism light which is working fine but doesn't give off much shimmer if any at all, which is something I really want. I love the look and shimmer from the kessil 160, but am a bit hesitant to spend over 500$. Does the ecoxotic e series create a similar shimmer? What are your thoughts of the two?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am also considering changing lights on my 36 in 50 gal. Right now I have a prism light which is working fine but doesn't give off much shimmer if any at all, which is something I really want. I love the look and shimmer from the kessil 160, but am a bit hesitant to spend over 500$. Does the ecoxotic e series create a similar shimmer? What are your thoughts of the two?
I do have some 36" EVO Quads 3W for sale if you're interested. They are super bright and have lots of shimmer but you'll probably want to raise them above the water.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Yea pretty sure they were showing the XR15W rather than the XR15FW. The FW can be quite warm
I can attest to this. The XR15FW can be warm.

Here's the XR15FW over a 24" Mr. Aqua. Transitioning this to a ducth scape, so the wood and then the second light will eventually be gone:
DSC_0147.jpg

Here's the settings in the pic above:
ecosmrt.png

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can't speak for the Radions or the Halos but I bought 3 Kessils for a 6 foot tank and put 2 over my 4 foot tank for a while. I think the spread is plenty, and I love the light color.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
LRJ, this is a really cool tank you posted. Any chance you started a journal on it and any feed back regarding the Radions?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Wow thanks for the first hand accounts guys. Both of your tanks are looking great. My tank will be a high tech dutch styled aquascape so high light is going to be important. I really love the way the kessils look and those new mounting arms are really nice. Do you think the a160s will be enough or should I think about the 360s?

I found a guy selling two xr30w gen2 for a good price but if this falls through I'm definitely going to go with kessils.
I`m interested in a follow up by the OP.
What did you settle with?
What is your review of it ?
Regards

·
Registered
566 Posts
Wow thanks for the first hand accounts guys. Both of your tanks are looking great. My tank will be a high tech dutch styled aquascape so high light is going to be important. I really love the way the kessils look and those new mounting arms are really nice. Do you think the a160s will be enough or should I think about the 360s?

I found a guy selling two xr30w gen2 for a good price but if this falls through I'm definitely going to go with kessils.
I`m interested in a follow up by the OP.
What did you settle with?
What is your review of it ?
Regards
I am curious too

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
LRJ, this is a really cool tank you posted. Any chance you started a journal on it and any feed back regarding the Radions?
Hi jsarrow, there is a journal for the tank here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/875121-32-gal-mr-aqua.html. It has since been converted to a Dutch style, and now uses a T5 fixture. I had been curious to try T5 lighting and thought it might render greater contrasts for the Dutch, so I ended up selling the XR15s to buy an ATI dimmable unit. Having now used both, I would not switch back to LED if keeping a Dutch style aquarium. That said, I used the Radions for about a year before the switch, and overall had a great experience. They're very powerful, highly controllable, relatively quiet, and never had any issues with them. I would highly recommend getting ReefLink though; otherwise you won't be taking advantage of the full programmability of the light, which is one of its best features. I would definitely use them again for the right sort of nature style setup.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts