The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Am on the market for getting a pendant style light for my 40 gallons currently.

I want to see anyone here who own the Tuna Sun and give me some input.

Will the A160WE SUN will get lots of "Light Spill" for a tank size measure 30" wide, 18" depth and 18" tall ??
I will be handing the light around a inch or 2 from the water line. (to Further avoid light spill)

My tank located at my smallish living room and I do not want my living room turn into a white light box. :|
Most of the plants I choose are low light so PAR dont' matter to me. I just love the shimmer effect hence I choose this brand.

so please let me know. Photo will be excellent if you can let me see.

thanks again

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I have a pair of A160WE Tuna Suns over a 120H ( basically same dimensions as a standard 90g ) and I don't consider there to be much light spill. I believe the literature on them states at a height of 24 inches you get a coverage area of 24 inches on the substrate, if that helps.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You will probably have darker zones in the tank with a single Kessil that close to the water surface. The local ADA dealer has a single A160 on a 90P display tank and it looks really cool, but it is not remotely evenly lit - just something to be aware of.

Are you planning on the Amazon Sun or the Tuna Sun? Amazon Sun is intended for planted tanks, Tuna Sun is intended for reefs.

-Justin

·
Registered
687 Posts
You may want to go higher than 1-2 inches so that you don't get the light wet. My kessils do not spill over: the light is pretty focused down. I am at work now, but I'll take pictures when I get home if that helps. By the way, I love Kessil lights. Plants do well underneath Kessils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
You will probably have darker zones in the tank with a single Kessil that close to the water surface. The local ADA dealer has a single A160 on a 90P display tank and it looks really cool, but it is not remotely evenly lit - just something to be aware of.

Are you planning on the Amazon Sun or the Tuna Sun? Amazon Sun is intended for planted tanks, Tuna Sun is intended for reefs.

-Justin
Tuna Sun is for planted tanks. Head over to the manufacturers website.
http://www.kessil.com/aquarium/Freshwater_A160_Tuna_Sun.php

Bump:
You may want to go higher than 1-2 inches so that you don't get the light wet. My kessils do not spill over: the light is pretty focused down. I am at work now, but I'll take pictures when I get home if that helps. By the way, I love Kessil lights. Plants do well underneath Kessils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really like mine also. IMO, a lot better look than the T5HO's they replaced. Spill was not anything I ever noticed. On the other hand, the reflection on the ceiling from the ripple was something I had to adjust to, but now I don't even notice it.

One suggestion would be to buy it from a retailer with a good return policy and try it out. If you don't like it you can return it. Sometimes you just have to try things.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You Thank You Thank You for all the advise.

I Absolutely don't mind some "Dark Spot / Corner".

For the plants I going to have (All sort of differernt java, anubis, moss) it is not going to have problem.

To be honest, the way I set up the tank will have better effect if I don't blast this tank with high brightness.

and other reason why I love Kessil cuz' it is a CAN !!!! I love how small they are ! Yeah smaller then Radion ?
and the skimmer effect. And making my living ceiling looks like moving aqua painting. lol.

One more question, do you guys know how long the cord that came with the light ?
I am going to hang the light from the ceiling and would like to route the cord along and come down from the wall.
Just wanna see if that is long enough or any extension I can buy along with the light.

Thanks again !!
Bunny

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts

For the plants I going to have (All sort of differernt java, anubis, moss) it is not going to have problem.

To be honest, the way I set up the tank will have better effect if I don't blast this tank with high brightness.

and other reason why I love Kessil cuz' it is a CAN !!!! I love how small they are ! Yeah smaller then Radion ?
and the skimmer effect. And making my living ceiling looks like moving aqua painting. lol.

One more question, do you guys know how long the cord that came with the light ?
I am going to hang the light from the ceiling and would like to route the cord along and come down from the wall.
Just wanna see if that is long enough or any extension I can buy along with the light.

Thanks again !!
Bunny
Oh, it's long enough. I have an extension that I'm not even using.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Thanks again !!
Bunny
That's a stunning backdrop. Pics/update on this tank?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts