The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kessil makes great lights, you certainly get what you pay for but I do not need that high of a quality LED(s) nor do I need a variable pot for the blue spectrum. The thing I like about their units are form factor, they are small for their output and spread.

This is the tank I need it for, its just a 5 gallon tall. Right now I have the factory lighting arm with a rectangular square over the top that I have added additional LEDs to but I find it to be an eyesore. If I could only have the light higher, and coming from a smaller point of focus.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Par 38 is the lamp size/shape/reflector style... they are available in a wide assortment of spectrums, incandescent, halogen, led, possibly cfl if memory serves

They are also available as different sizes, par16 having a reflector about the size of a golf ball, up to par 64 that is about the size of a dinner plate

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered a PAR30 LED bulb on eBay for $12 rated @ 18W if I need to I will bump it up to a PAR38. I made sure to get cool white, and 60 degrees instead of the 120 degree angle version.

Now to find a light fixture....or parts I already have a gooseneck I need an anchor clamp.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I ordered a PAR30 LED bulb on eBay for $12 rated @ 18W if I need to I will bump it up to a PAR38. I made sure to get cool white, and 60 degrees instead of the 120 degree angle version.

Now to find a light fixture....or parts I already have a gooseneck I need an anchor clamp.
There are two meanings of PAR. For the screw in bulb type, PAR means this:
What does PAR mean in light bulbs?

Parabolic aluminized reflector (PAR) 38 bulbs control light more precisely. They produce about four times the concentrated light intensity of general service A shape incandescents, and are used in recessed and track lighting. Like all light bulbs, the 30 value represents the diameter of the bulb in 1⁄8 of an inch.

PAR38 LED Light Bulbs | PAR 38 LED | EarthLED.com

So PAR 30 or 38 bulbs are bulb diameter.

Bump: I'm looking at Aquasky LED's now.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I am so getting one ☺

I've been using a 18w CFL in a ZooMed Single Deep Dome fixture for a couple of years now over a 5g cylinder, no complaints at ~ $20 total.

Reactions: Teebo

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still waiting on that bulb to arrive...but I mounted that socket bracket to the gooseneck and found a threaded rivet type fastener at the hardware store with flush ends on both side that helped clean the appearance out over a non-symmetrical nut and bolt. The wiring will not fit in the gooseneck because the shielding is too thick so I will solder a different cable to those wires before they enter the tube. I found these glass shelf brackets on eBay and they arrived from China within a week...unlike that bulb. I will use one to mount the other end of the gooseneck to the rear of my tank.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I am getting closer, I need to cleanup the wiring connection with some solder and heatshrink still.

I used a washer to mount the shelf clamp to, worked out great!

This 18W 60-degree floodlight was too bright and I think even the 14W will be too bright. I am glad I did not go with the PAR38, even though it consumes only 18W the lumen output is much higher than the LED COB lights you can buy from China.

I had this COB around to temporarily use, it is equivalent to all the LEDs I stuck on the factory lighting hood but it is probably only 9-12W. I ordered a 15W version to see if I can get the lighting I want, it may not be bright enough for me still @ 15W yet the 14W floodlight may be too much. I do like the way the light is more centralized from this COB though so I will continue this route.

·
Registered
289 Posts
as a diy led maker i came to conclusion long ago that kessil make lights for, us not the tank. same with ada.

that's why i still wanna buy one eventually..

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Furthering this search, I have so far found the best results with a 15W PAR20. From left to right I have a 15W bulb that uses 5 LED pods (casts a hotspot in my tank), then I have a COB light that is believed to be 15W but does not seem as bright as my other 15W bulbs so I ordered another one I know is 15W I am still waiting for...that aside it casts a much better light than the first bulb, the reflector keeps an equal light intensity across the tank. I used it for a while, then I ordered that larger PAR20 on the right which is certainly "up to par" with my 15W bulbs lol. Now I am using this PAR20 in favor over the middle bulb pictured.

I think the heatsink is taller because the COB light has the LEDs closer together creating more of a hotspot to deal with:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any pictures of the lights illuminating the tank? I'm looking for the same thing. Single bulb or pendent style light for my tank which is a 12" cube. I want enough light without bumping up to high light. I am just getting back into the hobby and not ready to start messing around with CO2 and ferts.
Yeah sure, but it does not do much justice so I did not bother.

A (15W) - This photo is hard to see the 'hot spot' but there is also a lot of light pollution too with these:

B (12W) - Less light pollution, and greater concentration of the wattage I really liked this COB:

C (15W) - This PAR20 is the winner so far, not really any brighter but a slightly more narrow beam which is kind of surprising:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.