The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Congrats, looking forward to reading your experience with it.
Back ordered here in my neck of the woods in Canada -Frustrating!
Should be arriving tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
nice put up some pics when you can. I'm still on the waiting list
Light is here , gooseneck is not.I will Ghetto mount it until such time the gooseneck finds it`s way here:wink2:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Curious to see some picture with that product, the silence mode is always a big plus.
My tank is in it`s infancy stage and a work in progress, nevertheless i will take and post a picture when i get home.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Really interested to see some actual pictures of these things in action. I am curious if it will be able to grow a carpet in a tank that is 18 inches deep.

·
Registered
490 Posts

Hmm those numbers don't look promising. I had heard some people on reef central were bleaching corals with them after replacing their a160 units but it seems like may that have been exaggerated. Lighting a planted tank is frustrating since there are no good options in the LED market. I am thinking about snagging two gen 1 radion pros for a 120p size aquarium if I can find them at a decent price.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
I had heard some people on reef central were bleaching corals with them after replacing their a160 units but it seems like may that have been exaggerated.
Can't se how that is possible.. Even w/ some increased diode efficiency they are still 1/2 the power of a 160.
Can't fight physics..though you could focus the bejessus out of it.. but spread would suffer..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hmm those numbers don't look promising. I had heard some people on reef central were bleaching corals with them after replacing their a160 units but it seems like may that have been exaggerated. Lighting a planted tank is frustrating since there are no good options in the LED market. I am thinking about snagging two gen 1 radion pros for a 120p size aquarium if I can find them at a decent price.

There's plenty of good options in the LED market for planted tanks, options that are proven to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts
Really interested to see some actual pictures of these things in action. I am curious if it will be able to grow a carpet in a tank that is 18 inches deep.
Light is about 7 inches off the top of tank, top of tank to substrate approx. 13 inches for a total of 20 inches light to substrate
Tank is 19 .75" X 13"
Front carpet started about 3 weeks ago and it`s the labeled slow growing Marisila Crenata
Sorry i don`t have graphs or par or what someone wrote.:smile2:
This is real life.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There's plenty of good options in the LED market for planted tanks, options that are proven to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you know any good ones that can keep up with a high-tech tank? As well as keeping red plants stay to their true colors and not turn green?

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
I have the a80 on a 10g tank. Excellent high tech light so far. Plants pearling etc. Furthermore those par data are for the blue version of the light. Not the daylight. Results speak for themselves, everyone.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
There are plenty of successful results that don't involve Kessil.....
As to PAR, it won't be very different regardless of the light depending on the meter sensor..
If you want to feel better add 10%...................

There are no "magic photons"....

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
No one said there are no other good results using LED. All I said was that the kessil light is a fine light. Furthermore, diode efficiency is dependent on the substrate and therefore wavelength it outputs. Even between manufacturers, the efficiency will vary for the same wavelength output. It is incorrect to translate the efficiency of one completely different colored light to another. What these numbers actually are is anyone's guess. No one said there were any magic photons.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Kessil seems to think so.. ;)

Hello Jeff,
Thank you for your inquiry! We do not use PAR/Lumens to measure the output of our lights because it is not an accurate measurement for LED output. PAR only measures the visible spectrum and does not distinguish between wavelengths. We are working on compiling our data to publish an easy to understand reading in a single unit.
The A80 is essentially half the output of the A160. Please see our recommendation for the placement of light along with the coverage for the A80 below and let us know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Mixed reef = covers 14” x 14” at 4” from water line

Soft/lps coral= covers 20” x 20” at 6” from water line

Fish only= covers 24” x 24” at 8” from water line

Best Regards,

Tiffany Huang

Kessil Lighting
I was correct in saying from what I have read that par meters don't accurately measure par for kessil lights.

No, actually you aren't correct. With the applicable correction factor, if any is needed, any light can be measured for PAR. Kessil is absolutely no exception, and they literally emailed a steaming pile of bull....
Which I agree with..
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/378524-par-for-kessil-a80/
We are working on compiling our data to publish an easy to understand reading in a single unit
Maybe they can change my mind.. but it is still only 1/2 of the equation as far as I'm concerned....
Kessil fanboys, Kessil bashers.. makes life interesting..

I think Kessil is behind in spectrum because they are "content" w/ selling a look.. fine w/ that but I'm not going to encourage it or pretend it is what it isn't.
Can it grow plants?.. yes. Does it have a look that some/others appreciate. yes. Does it have a cool design factor.. yes.. But all are relative.
Maybe I'm a bit hard on Kessil since almost all lights have a wart or two..
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/947586-apex-color-setting-kessil-a360we.html

Buy what you like.. that is the point but don't try to snow people.. much.. ;)

I've always preficed this stuff w/ saying it is part personal choice on my part

Kessil makes more than adequate products for marine tanks, make the same for hort.. Freshwater.. still think one can do more..

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
So what would you recommend for super high-tech tanks, besides a Kessil? haha
Depends on the depth and shape and goal and what you like to look at.. ;)

I really have no problem in people using Kessils, just knowing EXACTY what they are getting.. ;)

nothing wrong w/ an EVO quad clip on for a square tank..Plenty of ENERGY...

no ramp dimming and the 6500k may not be the correct look for you..
I could give you 1/2 doz reasons not to get it but heck.. only $76....;)
but if you want to grow plants ..period.. will work fine.. ;) for the right size tank.

Kessils are not "the strongest" PAR output out there..that is part of the point..
Does well for its advanced optics though..
Still awaiting official PAR stats from Kessil (light sarcasm)

Reactions: ibebian

·
Registered
41 Posts
Depends on the depth and shape and goal and what you like to look at.. ;)

I really have no problem in people using Kessils, just knowing EXACTY what they are getting.. ;)

nothing wrong w/ an EVO quad clip on for a square tank..Plenty of ENERGY...

no ramp dimming and the 6500k may not be the correct look for you..
I could give you 1/2 doz reasons not to get it but heck.. only $76....;)
but if you want to grow plants ..period.. will work fine.. ;) for the right size tank.

Kessils are not "the strongest" PAR output out there..that is part of the point..
Does well for its advanced optics though..
Still awaiting official PAR stats from Kessil (light sarcasm)

My tank is an ADA 60P - 24x12x14inches. I'm trying to get my red plants to get their true colors as well as make better growth for my plants. Would you say a Chihiros-A-Series light would work good? Or what light would be good in the 8000k range?

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
are you thinking about using 2 30cm lights???
one color or the 5 color (more reef centric)
True color is based on CRI.. Neither lists it.

These are just a like I will call it.. MH/ADA "type" fixtures..
Crisp white leds w/ little red..so "natural" is not in the equation..
Of course one could argue what is "natural" as to color temp.. but not to CRI..
Even ADA has "embraced" color..
SOLAR RGB | ADA - PRODUCT - LIGHTING SYSTEM

won't get into that bad idea though.. ;)

Now as an example.. find pictures of a Fluval planted 2.0. 7500k (close enough) Compare it to

5 color Chiros

1 color ADA

Just a squarer Fluval..
https://youtu.be/HGd1TQ8jNRo

Point is you can have similar K values w/ VERY different looks..
Picked photos that appearred to have little processing except normal jpg. No guarantee of perfect accuracy but overall impression SHOULD be correct.

IF you noticed I said nothing about red..
Has 2 components 1)producing the pigments and 2)showing the said pigments..

My last red plants I killed.... Long story, had nothing directly(well sort of) to do w/ light..

21 - 40 of 52 Posts