The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone get these yet? I like how there is no fan and they're silent. I was thinking about running two of these on a 40 breeder with mainly monte carlo in a mountain scape. Think they will be enough light at full blast? They said something about being half of a kessil a160 so I would assume it should be bright enough.

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
@ 15W doubt if they will cover a 40b sufficiently for any higher light demanding plants... Even 2..

Besides AFAICT these are still reef-centric.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Anyone get these yet? I like how there is no fan and they're silent. I was thinking about running two of these on a 40 breeder with mainly monte carlo in a mountain scape. Think they will be enough light at full blast? They said something about being half of a kessil a160 so I would assume it should be bright enough.
Given the 40 B is a shallow tank and more so with substrate, i see no issue with brightness,2 would be more than enough for the 36 inch length of the tank.
I`m patiently waiting for it`s release in Canada.
Regards

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
Given the 40 B is a shallow tank and more so with substrate, i see no issue with brightness,2 would be more than enough for the 36 inch length of the tank.
I`m patiently waiting for it`s release in Canada.
Regards
Kessil LED Lights

Use the calculator and this is based on a A150....
Even divide by 1/2 for plant uses...

·
Registered
722 Posts

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
Yeah 15w is definitely something to think about. If anyone is running a kessil a160 half blast in a similar sized tank, let us know what you think.

In the reef builders you tube video it looks pretty bright (tuna blue) and there's only 3 on what looks like a 180g FO tank. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_jl6O2LhOo&t=203s
Keep in mind the height from the light to substate..

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/09/08/kessil-a80-led-tuna-blue/#

7(overlap for height off water)+16- substrate(assume 2")= 21" height for 15W of LED..

Again not saying it won't "work" but I am saying PAR will be nothing special..

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=35450

backordered but $50 gift card.. ;)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I have two tuna suns coming for my 60P. I have seen them in action at macna and it is nothing like the A160. It has the new hybrid optic/reflector found on the AP700. The reflector they use is pretty big. For a 40B I would put 3 units.

If you have a tank shorter than 18" then you can do high tech no problem. Anything taller and you are looking at med/low tech.

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
I have two tuna suns coming for my 60P. I have seen them in action at macna and it is nothing like the A160. It has the new hybrid optic/reflector found on the AP700. The reflector they use is pretty big. For a 40B I would put 3 units.

If you have a tank shorter than 18" then you can do high tech no problem. Anything taller and you are looking at med/low tech.
effective beam angle is around 110 degrees..

·
Registered
722 Posts

A typical 40B is 36 x 18 x 17 H assume 2 inches of substrate = 15 inches H

·
Registered
11 Posts
I saw my Lfs using 1 Tuna Sun over a 60 gallon planted shrimp tank. It was pretty dense (though I couldn't name a lot of the plants in their).. I could take a photo if you want.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yeah 15w is definitely something to think about. If anyone is running a kessil a160 half blast in a similar sized tank, let us know what you think.

In the reef builders you tube video it looks pretty bright (tuna blue) and there's only 3 on what looks like a 180g FO tank. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_jl6O2LhOo&t=203s
I runt he A160 on a 60P ( not 36 inches but 24 inches) but the light sits 19 inches above the substrate at approx 40% , i grow Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' , Staurogyne repens & oh red plant ( Ludwigia red sp.) that the Kessil Tuna sun supposedly can`t grow :smile2: .

Regards

·
Registered
84 Posts
Neptune Aquatics in San Jose has an A80 Tuna Sun over an 18x18x18 planted tank and it looks bright enough to grow anything; I don't think this was at 100% either as I fiddled with the output knob and it went a bit brighter. See picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
Neptune Aquatics in San Jose has an A80 Tuna Sun over an 18x18x18 planted tank and it looks bright enough to grow anything; I don't think this was at 100% either as I fiddled with the output knob and it went a bit brighter. See picture.
Wow, can`t wait to have mine, especially since it can grow red plants :grin2:( note sacrasm)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nice to finally see the A80 over a decent planted tank! I've actually been considering one of these for a high-tech 3g Mr. Aqua bowfront in the near future.

·
Banned
2,672 Posts
Kessil is a company I personally don't agree or trust with, now this was on the king of DIY and people say its true and it works an stuff, but if you go on amazon and get a floodlight (a little one that fits your aquarium size and needs) its just a bright and produces EVEN LESS shimmer, and works apparently with all plants, ill give a link here in just a bit.

Bump: Floodlight link

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:proud: thanks for the pic

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have one on the way as well. At $150 with a gooseneck if this thing can really grow anything at around 12" substrate depth its kind of a game changer for cheap high quality lighting on smaller tanks for those who don't like strip lights. As for the comment on led floodlights being a good alternative I think that's a bit ridiculous. I have a 10w flood over my 6gal low tech and while it does work well the quality of lighting you're going to get as far as color rendering and shimmer from the kessil is going to be much nicer. On top of all that its a much more attractive package and I don't have a ton of faith in the longevity of the flood lights. They serve their purpose for the cost but so does a Toyota carolla vs an Audi, both will get you to work but it's all about where you prefer to spend your money. Mine is going to be over a 15.8x12.6x12.6 tank so I will be sure to chime in on how it works out for me.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have one on the way as well. At $150 with a gooseneck if this thing can really grow anything at around 12" substrate depth its kind of a game changer for cheap high quality lighting on smaller tanks for those who don't like strip lights. As for the comment on led floodlights being a good alternative I think that's a bit ridiculous. I have a 10w flood over my 6gal low tech and while it does work well the quality of lighting you're going to get as far as color rendering and shimmer from the kessil is going to be much nicer. On top of all that its a much more attractive package and I don't have a ton of faith in the longevity of the flood lights. They serve their purpose for the cost but so does a Toyota carolla vs an Audi, both will get you to work but it's all about where you prefer to spend your money. Mine is going to be over a 15.8x12.6x12.6 tank so I will be sure to chime in on how it works out for me.
Congrats, looking forward to reading your experience with it.
Back ordered here in my neck of the woods in Canada -Frustrating!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts