The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the chance to try out the new Kessil A150W LED Aquarium Light? We just started selling these at Aquatouch and apparently they come in a 6700k version (along with 10000k, 15000k, and 20000k). The brochure says that they're as good as a 150 watt metal halide. The A150W uses 32W of LED and apparently covers 12 to 24 inches. The actual light is 4" tall and 2.5" wide. At a little under $300, i think they're pretty affordable if they can perform as well as they're advertising it...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
For the price, there are a LOT of options out there. For what would effectively be lighting for a nano/small tank... $300 does not seem like s steal to me.

While I'm sure the out put is sufficient inside the coverage area, I only have 1 tank they'd work on all alone. My bigger tanks would require 1200 bucks in lighting...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
im still just using the ufo led 90w an dam that thing is bright seen grow studies that were slightly better than a 400hps, been growing plants just fine but i wouldnt suggest getting one without whites im sure i would be even more pleased if i had picked that one instead. still need a par meter to see what its measuring but i know if u look at it you will just see spots and colors for several min.
why not set one up at aquatouch to test you guys got several nice tanks down there to see if it can hold its own? would be a better selling point imo as seeing it in action people go dam that nice an its only 32w thats less than most lights in a house sold!:)

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
in any world par is more important, salt or reef, even more so in salt tanks, since they need at least like, 100+par at the substrate. I know dudes that run their tanks at 400+ par at the substrate on a 30 inch deep tank.

to the naked eye, the 6500k kessil isn't super bright and the spread isn't that great, but they were mounted really close to the tank, only about 15 inches off the substrate.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
For the price, there are a LOT of options out there. For what would effectively be lighting for a nano/small tank... $300 does not seem like s steal to me.

While I'm sure the out put is sufficient inside the coverage area, I only have 1 tank they'd work on all alone. My bigger tanks would require 1200 bucks in lighting...

100% agreed. The Kessil looks like a nice light but at 32 watts, I severely doubt it matches the same PAR distribution of a 150w halide. Normally LEDs seem to give around double/triple the PAR efficiency of halides/T5's (if using top quality Cree/Rebel/Bridgelux LEDs). Even "triple" can be a bit enthusiastic.

But they are claiming nearly 5X the efficiency if they are claiming that they put out comparable PAR distribution of a 150w halide, which honestly is exactly what they seem to be doing.

That's just way too ambitious IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.