The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've completely accepted my self diagnosed MTS. My BF won't allow any more tanks at home, but my office at work is free range!

I bought a 20L at the Petco $1 per gallon sale, and I'm really trying to pace myself on this one and plan. After all, I think the planning and setup is the most exciting part!!

So far I've bought VIV glass inlet and outlet lily pipes, just ordered some Flourite Black Sand, and have a dual stage, dual output regular ready to go. (Courtesy of AlanLe) The regulator is currently feeding a 9g tank that is close by. All equipment is on order... Now just for plants and then decide what fish I want. I'd like to pick up as many plants as possible and plant heavy from the beginning.

Today I ordered a Satellite Plus Pro light 24-36" which should give me some pretty sweet PAR on this 12" deep tank.

This will be my third attempt at a plant tank and I feel like I've learned quite a few lessons along the way, so I'm expecting something pretty bad ass this time.

I plan to get most of the plants from my fellow super awesome TPT members.

I would absolutely love some stocking suggestions. I'm plan to have some RCS and a full carpet of something or other.

Here is the location of the tank. Next door to my 9g. It's in front of a window and will receive some indirect sunlight. I'm going to add a black background to block some of the light out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Playing around with the hard scape today. Would love some input! I realized after that having the light on would have helped with the photos, but what can ya do. I have a whole bunch of spider wood to play around with. I plan to cover the driftwood with mosses.

Idea 1
I love the piece of wood on the left. It looks like some sort of creepy sleepy hollow tree.

Idea 2
Sleepy hollow tree all by itself.

Idea 3

Idea 4

Idea 5

Idea 6
I think this is my favorite. The two pieces seem to flow together almost like they are connected. Just a little worried about the piece on the far left how it just sticks straight up. Kind of ruins the flow?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Edit: This was supposed to be an edit and not a second post. That's what I get for trying to do it through the tapatalk app I guess lol

I've got tons of plants coming - way too many probably and a whole bunch of different varieties. I hit up three members on the For Sale threads with a bunch of mixed fast growing stems and some mosses. I'm just going to see what I get and what I think will work. This will be a "jungle" or natural style tank. Hoping to get lots of varying shades of green, pink, orange and red.

Here is the list:
Hygrophila Corymbosa angustifolia
Bacoba Australis
Heteranthera zosterifolia (star grass)
Bolbitis heudelotii (small form, leaves reach a max of 5 inches)
Microsorium pteropus sp. (Trident Java Fern)
Luwigia brevipes
Ludwigia red (from 2 sellers)
Rotala Colorata
Rotala Vietnam
Rotala Green
Rotala H ra aka Gia Lai
Rotala Rotundifolia (from 2 sellers)
Rotala 'Yao Yai'
Myrio Ghuyana
Bacopas
Peacock moss
Bacopa monnieri (emersed)
Hemianthus callitrichoides (“HC”, dwarf baby tears) (emersed)
Crypt (emersed)
ludwigia repens
ludwigia x lacustris

Found this layout on Tropica that really got me going with the hardscape.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Subscribed! Can't wait to see this come together!

Hey, me too! Thanks!

Looking good so far I like the way you did the wood almost looks like a animal skeleton in the next to last photo.

You're right, it does! It's got a set of ribs on it doesn't it?!

Nice hardscape, you have skills!

Thank you!!! I'm totally winging it! Don't tell anyone ;)

So I got my first two orders of plants in today and got them in the tank. Sure could have used a set of those pinchers they use on all the aquascaping videos but all I had were tweezers. :p They worked alright lol

I've got to go back tomorrow to hook up the CO2 and get some ferts in the tank. I've got another order of plants coming in this weekend to hopefully fill in the blanks.

Filling

Filled!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beautiful! Subscribed. I can't wait to see your tank as it fills in!

Thank you!

I've added several more plants and not quite sure if I'm happy with the arrangement. I think the augustfolia on the right is a bit overbearing. I may take some out and put it in another tank. What do you guys think of the layout so far? I could use some input and suggestions for placement.

I also ended up getting copepods in one of my plant shipments which I'm not too happy about. Once you have them you can't really get rid of them, only hope to keep them under control.

The plants are kicking butt so far and I'm getting daily pearling on the HC and the Ludwigia red. Seeing new growth on them both as well. I've got the CO2 cranking since there's no fish yet. I figured I'd get the plants settled a bit and get them nice and comfy while I figure out which fish will be calling it home. So many options it's hard to decide!

Plants!! I think my new favorite is Stargrass. Looks fairly unassuming until it's submersed and then it's just beautiful. Love the way the leaves spread out - well, just like stars. :) I ordered way too much and put several of the stem plants in my big tank at home.

Day 2 filled and still a bit cloudy. I was in a hurry and slapped the augustifolia in the center back.

This is from today. Nice and clear. Moved the augustifolia to the far right.

Lovely pearling

I've got a bunch of Singapore moss coming tomorrow. I'll have to put on my patient hat and spend some time wrapping it on the wood and some of the rocks. Singapore moss was recommended to me for high light. I've not dimmed the lights at all and in the center it's about 100 PAR. I need to adjust them so I don't start an algae train.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very pretty tank

Thank you! Last night I was getting some crazy ideas about tearing the whole thing down and replanting with aqua soil and treating all the plants to try to get rid of the copepods. I did tell myself I wasn't going to put a bunch of money into this tank though. Probably would be wise to just stick with the current setup.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey kep, can you tell me what kind of light fixture that is over your 9gal. I'm running 2 screw in cfl bulbs over my 10 gal but they are oriented horizontally, I know I would get higher par with thm mounted vertically in a fixture like yours. Thanks.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey kep, can you tell me what kind of light fixture that is over your 9gal. I'm running 2 screw in cfl bulbs over my 10 gal but they are oriented horizontally, I know I would get higher par with thm mounted vertically in a fixture like yours. Thanks.

Yeah it's a zoomed dual output fixture and it's hanging on a zoomed stand. Both found on Amazon. Although I might have tried the stand one size up if I could do it again. I have it set to the highest it will go now and it's a little flimsy. I wish I could raise it even higher because I've got some algae issues.

Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003F6XW56/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_PL.zvb10XQY5W

Zoo Med Reptile Lamp Stand, Economy Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HG76B8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_nM.zvb1WWXANX

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've looked at all your tanks, you are entirely consumed by the illness MTS, there is no cure I'm afraid. :D

This one looks great! What's your foreground plant?

My hubby won't allow any more tanks inside, so I'm resorting to having one on the lanai if it won't get overgrown with algae.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've looked at all your tanks, you are entirely consumed by the illness MTS, there is no cure I'm afraid. :D

This one looks great! What's your foreground plant?

My hubby won't allow any more tanks inside, so I'm resorting to having one on the lanai if it won't get overgrown with algae.

I have the same issue. Those darn men just don't know what it's all about! He just gets upset because sometimes the fish get more attention than him, which I suppose is a valid complaint lol I only have the one big tank at home and the two small tanks at work. I think the fourth is going to be put on hold for a while :(

Thanks for the compliments and checking out them all! The foreground plant is dwarf baby tears. It was grown emersed and I bought it from someone on here. It's transitioning great underwater and looks like it's really taking off!

I am so excited tonight because I've finally got some fauna in this tank. Yesterday I added 3 horned nerites and 2 batman nerites. I had never heard of a batman nerite so I had to have some. They don't have any special powers I discovered (this is unfortunate).

I made a trip to the LFS in search of fish today and decided to just see what they had since I couldn't make up my mind on what to get. I got my hands on some (8) "gerteude's blue eyed rainbowfish". I'd never heard or seen such a fish and they are incredible! They have these weird little yellow antennae looking fins that flutter about above their head. So cool! And I got a dwarf blue gourami who is super cool in his own right. I wanted to get three but the LFS said they would get territorial and they were all males.

These are just google images but I wanted to share a pic of something. It was moonlight only in the tank and I didn't want to spook them with the lights.

Moonlights

The fish seemed great after I put them in the tank and even ate right away.

https://vimeo.com/129335374

Also super cool are these chairs I picked up on Craigslist today. A zebra print "accent" chair and this quilted chair that some lady made with decoupage. I'm sad I have to wait a whole day to come back and see my fish. Actually looking forward to a Monday

1 - 20 of 33 Posts