The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our father (Ken Keating 1) absolutely loved this site. Whenever our family passed by him on his computer, he was glued to the screen reading anything he could on this forum. Sadly, my dad passed away earlier this month. He was diagnosed with cancer in December and fought a heroic battle for as long as he could.

The fish tank is now under our care. We’re all amateurs and only helped our dad trim the plants a couple of times. We do know how to change the water and feed the fish. However, we’re determined to learn more because the aquarium was a huge piece of our dad. We loved him and adored his infatuation with the tank. It was common (before Coronavirus) to have friends come over and give them a grand tour of the aquarium. There would even be a feeding show! We’re truly going to miss these shows and our father.

We decided to start an account because we thought it would be the best place to get help with taking over the tank. We’ll try to post photos later this week because we’re having issues with algae. Towards the end my father wasn’t doing as much dosing and waiting longer between water changes. We’ll also post some photos of the plants because we want to make sure we trim them correctly.

Thank you all for adding so much to our father’s life and sharing his passion for fish with him. We know it was so appreciated.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
So very sorry to read this. I have communicated with your dad both on this site and thru text messaging - he will be greatly missed.
I'm sure those of us that knew Ken will be more than happy to help with care of the tank. Weekly water changes will go along way in keeping the plants and fish healthy.
Will miss you Ken

·
Banned
6,197 Posts
I am so sorry and saddened to hear this news.

While I never met your father, we had many discussions via email and PM here.

I found him to be an engaging personality, and truly enjoyed every conversation we had. He was also a positive force here on the site, and I am sure many looked forward to seeing his updates and thoughts.

He will be greatly missed, and I am so sorry for your loss.

·
Plant Lover
309 Posts
My deepest condolences to you all. Ken and I exchanged notes, pm's, after having met on this site. Even through the "ether sphere" I could tell what a kind and generous and brilliant man he was. He was an engaging and giving presence here. I loved hearing about his camping trips with you, his kids. And of course I was inspired and learned so much from his tank and his expertise. We will all miss him.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
My deepest condolences on the loss of your father. I truly enjoyed getting to know Ken though our love of this hobby. I feel privilege that I was able to spend some time online with him, discussing in depth engineering plans!

He will be truly missed, and may he rest well.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Greg

·
Registered
174 Posts
I’m very sorry to hear about your loss. His tank was an inspiration. I never met him personally but he responded quickly to any questions. It was clear that he cared deeply about helping people...a philosophy I can only imagine he carried through to his close friends and family.

I’ve been meaning to build his variable velocity reactor and have been putting it off...I just might have to get started on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So very sorry to read this. I have communicated with your dad both on this site and thru text messaging - he will be greatly missed.
I'm sure those of us that knew Ken will be more than happy to help with care of the tank. Weekly water changes will go along way in keeping the plants and fish healthy.
Will miss you Ken
Thank you for this photo- We love it. Our father always had a smile on his face. I know you never met in person, but we remember our dad mentioning you and considered you as a friend.

We'll make sure to keep up with the water changes.

Bump:
I am so sorry and saddened to hear this news.

While I never met your father, we had many discussions via email and PM here.

I found him to be an engaging personality, and truly enjoyed every conversation we had. He was also a positive force here on the site, and I am sure many looked forward to seeing his updates and thoughts.

He will be greatly missed, and I am so sorry for your loss.
My father always loved to communicate and reach out to people. His optimism and positivity is something we're always to going to remember.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My deepest condolences to you all. Ken and I exchanged notes, pm's, after having met on this site. Even through the "ether sphere" I could tell what a kind and generous and brilliant man he was. He was an engaging and giving presence here. I loved hearing about his camping trips with you, his kids. And of course I was inspired and learned so much from his tank and his expertise. We will all miss him.
Thank you for your kind words. We have so many great camping memories from all the years we've gone.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Hi Amy! We've tried texting you a few times but aren't sure if our messages are going through. We still have your pie pan and need to return it :)

Bump: Hi Amy! We've tried texting you a few times but aren't sure if our messages are going through. We still have your pie pan and need to return it
I haven't seen your messages, no! :surprise:
I will look!

Bump:
Thank you for alerting me to this message. I might have missed it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I never met Ken, but I felt like I knew him on some level. He was a positive force on this forum. I have studied his photos / diagrams for hours, and I have been inspired by his work to improve my own methods. I even built a replica of his CO2 reactor which I use on my largest tank, and he helped me do it.

Girls, your post brought tears to my eyes for two reasons. First, I am saddened about your father passing. Second, your taking up care of the tank and all that goes with it is deeply touching.

We're here for you.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I made this succulent arrangement for the girls and his wife Nancy in sympathy from all of us —-Ken’s The Planted Tank Family.
The succulents can be misted and taken off pumpkin in a couple months and planted. A living arrangement that I think would have appealed to Ken.
My heart has been heavy these past couple of days in thoughts of him. He was a strong light.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFLbQcbHkFT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.