The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an aquapod 12g with a 70watt metal halide light. It says its a 14k kelvin bulb. It has a blue tint. Would you guys recommend this kelvin rating for a planted tank? Would you recommend 10k bulbs? Also will this setup allow me to grow high light plants?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im sure you could grow lots of high lights plants with this light.

I would change the globes to 6500K, or atleast 10000K for the best results, 14000K are for marines! :thumbsup:

Thanks

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
get the ADA 8000K bulbs, they have a GREAT color.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
And if you don't want to pay a billion dollars replacing your lighting fixture and on the ADA globes you can get 7500k ones that are half the price and the spectrum is nearly Identical.
Cmlaracy also neglects to mention that ADA only offer 150watt MH's which are useless to you.

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
And if you don't want to pay a billion dollars replacing your lighting fixture and on the ADA globes you can get 7500k ones that are half the price and the spectrum is nearly Identical.
Cmlaracy also neglects to mention that ADA only offer 150watt MH's which are useless to you.
Very good point, I didnt realize that... good catch

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Any time, I don't know if you can get them stateside but arcadia do a very good metal halide for freshwater.
I plan on using one on my tank eventually.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
You can get Astralux 8800K bulbs which almost match the ADA's bulbs in color to start with. Unforuntately, there's a color shift about 6 months into the bulb. But at $10-12 each, it's worth it to buy two Astralux vs one ADA. :)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
That's true, the thing with lighting though, and everything else is that you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
That said there are German made metal halides with the right spectrum that will last just as long, and if you believe the rumours make ADA's bulbs. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts