The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today i found a pregnant ghost shrimp in my tank (which has only ghost shimp inside) and did some research and still am not very clear as to how to keep their larvae alive. Will they do ok if i just leave them be? I added a bubble filter also as my other filter would kill them. Also i have no plants yet so they cant eat any of the micro algae.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same question. I read that you should use a sponge filter to prevent the larvae from getting sucked out. You can feed them boil veges like spinach or zucchini. They should eat that. For me, I have a planted tank, however, I have Angels and cardinals in their... I think the angels will be all over my larvae... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
93 Posts
http://www.ehow.com/how_4719963_feed-raise-ghost-shrimp-larvae.html
Abbreviated: Larval planktonic stage only lasts a day or so (or maybe even just a few hours) before larvae metamorphose into post-larvae (miniature shrimp). The larvae of this shrimp do *not* swim freely in the water, but sit on the ground or other items in the aquarium instead. The larvae do *not* need brackish water for this process and the young develop into adult shrimp in complete freshwater. this info is from pet shrimp
http://www.petshrimp.com/amazonglassshrimp.html

hope this helps

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"The Amazon glass shrimp is a very exciting shrimp from the Amazon basin in South America. It is a cousin of our native freshwater glass shrimp, but its look behavior, diet and mode of reproduction are very different. The amazon glass shrimp is a much more gracile shrimp than the american freshwater glass shrimp (AFGS). It's not as hectic as the AFGS, but instead prefers to slowly forage for edibles in the tank. It's claws are also much smaller."

That was on the amazon glass shrimp, not the american glass shrimp...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Jkcole,
The Amazon glass shrimp is a different species than the American ghost shrimp and may have a different length of planktonic stage. I have always heard you need very green water to keep them alive because the American ghost shrimp larva float for a day or two. The only food they eat is that which they literally bump into. They are unable to pursue food themselves. If the food density is not enough they will starve (as they are growing very fast) and die.

Also, since you should have a bubble filter in the tank, at least, this will also circulate the water causing the tiny larva to float about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts