The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is another question from me :tongue:

Will it be harmful if I will keep fry with no filter in 14g? I have and air stone and will do 10 -15% water change daily. The only reason I ask is that I just found couple of fry in my filter which I thought won't suck them in due to a sponge attached to intake, but apparently they still managed to get in there somehow and the filter is for a 10g tank. So will it be ok not to run filter for a bit? at least till the fry is a bit bigger.... I just really want to keep them alive and they are my first... It's CPD fry by the way.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yeah, thats more than fine, as long as the temp is okay and you keep stable parameters. Just be careful, as some fry are sensitive to drastic water changes in water. As long as the tank is well cycled, and you feed often but sparringly and use airline or something to sypon out the un eaten food you should be fine.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Thought about it and tried it.

10g fry tank with I can't count how many baby angels :tongue:
It has duck weed, a small seasoned air driven sponge filter, air stone bubble bar and a Tom's Continuous Hatch'n'feed all driven off a Whisper 10 pump. 7 days with only a 1 gallon water change yesterday. Water hardness and stable temp are most important to fry along with clean water.

With the lights on 18hrs. a day over the brine shrimp hatchery algae started covering the tank glass in 48hrs. but rather than UGH its yahoo :bounce:
Ammonia and nitrite remain undetectable and I've tested daily playing with this idea. The algae and duck weed are filtering the fish waste and fry also nibble on fresh green algae. Slimy green algae and fry. :smile:

Not my prettiest tank:icon_redf

But zero losses.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies :icon_smil

Yeah, thats more than fine, as long as the temp is okay and you keep stable parameters. Just be careful, as some fry are sensitive to drastic water changes in water. As long as the tank is well cycled, and you feed often but sparringly and use airline or something to sypon out the un eaten food you should be fine.
Ok good I was worried a bit :tongue:
I will be doing water tests every couple of days just to keep a close watch on parameters.
Right now the test read
pH 7.6
high range pH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

It's been like this for their parents and they hatched into it so they should be fine as long as everything stays the same. The tank has been running way over a month. I feed them tiny bit 3 times a day, it should be enough or should I feed more?

An other option is to use fast growing plants like duck weed to absorb the nutrients in the water.
Do not have duck weed, probably will go down to a pond to get some :icon_smil
I do have some salvinia or whatever it's called. Or duckweed is better?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10g fry tank with I can't count how many baby angels :tongue:
It has duck weed, a small seasoned air driven sponge filter, air stone bubble bar and a Tom's Continuous Hatch'n'feed all driven off a Whisper 10 pump. 7 days with only a 1 gallon water change yesterday. Water hardness and stable temp are most important to fry along with clean water.

With the lights on 18hrs. a day over the brine shrimp hatchery algae started covering the tank glass in 48hrs. but rather than UGH its yahoo :bounce:
I have salvania, some gravel, 3 types of moss attached to wood rocks and just floating around, and bunch of plants floating at the top that I was planing to replant until I found some fry. I will do a small water change this weekend, the fry will be a week old by then.

Ammonia and nitrite remain undetectable and I've tested daily playing with this idea. The algae and duck weed are filtering the fish waste and fry also nibble on fresh green algae. Slimy green algae and fry. :smile:
All my levels are at 0, except pH which is at 7.6 and high range is at 8<--little concern here, but I guess it should be fine since they did hatch into these parameters and parents breed in them...

Not my prettiest tank:icon_redf

But zero losses.

Maybe it's not the prettiest but it looks like a heaven for your fry :icon_smil I wish i had that many....
And believe me my tank doesn't look pretty at the moment I wanted to do a rescape so I can move my cherry barbs into it but now it all has to wait :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts