The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the middle of no where, more than 200 km from my lfs.

We are getting up early tomorrow morning to go into town for a doctor appt for me at 10:30. We have to leave around 7:30 am because we have to drop our dogs off at daycare and drop into the lfs to return my pleco (mistake to get him :()

My question is: is there anyway I can get him out of the tank tonight and then just grab the container in the morning?

I have a plastic container that is about 2 gallons. He is about 4 inches long right now. I have an air stone that I can hook up for him, but my extra heaters are both 150 W.

I am just thinking about how much of a hassle it will be tomorrow morning trying to catch him.

Is there any way at all that I can keep him happy in a smaller container over night? He will be in the container 13-14 hours all told.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would think it would be fine, just use tank water and an air stone. People do ship fish in bags so I would think that would be fine for a night. I have transported fish in a cooler with a portable air pump several hours and had no deaths.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I won't be able to use the air pump during the drive as I don't have a battery operated one, but that will be less than 3 hours.

I will use tank water and wrap a towel around the container to keep the water from dropping in temp too fast.

Should I do a quick water change with more tank water in the morning since these guys poop so much?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Should I do a quick water change with more tank water in the morning since these guys poop so much?

I don't think it would hurt. And definitely don't worry about feeding him while he's in there. People bring fish in to us and quite often there's food floating around in the bag haha. I think you've got the right idea though. :D

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, definitely won't be feeding him in there, he poops enough as it is. :S

Do I need to put a piece of driftwood or anything in there with him to keep him happy overnight? I would rather not pull anything out of my tank but I will if it will cause him too much stress to be in a bare container.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha! Thanks :)

I really like him. I thought, from my research, that my tank would be big enough for him. I really love watching him in there. :/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts