The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering about something... I'm planning on dirtying ***EDIT*** DIRTING! ***EDIT*** up my new 75 gallon tank, and all my tanks thus far are dirt. Could I lay down the dirt, then put a layer of filter floss over the entire substrate, and then pour sand over the filter floss? I would assume that the plants roots would go right through the filter floss. Then when I go to move any plants, maybe I could keep the mess to a minimum by just trimming the roots at the level at the top of the filter floss. Therefore keeping from pulling up a bunch of dirt along with it.

Anyone have any idea as to whether or not this will work?
***EDIT*** My most sincere apologies for anyone who may have been offended, emotionally hurt, or mentally/spiritually confused due to my previous statement, and incorrect grammar. I do hope that all members of the aquatic community will hear my plea of sorrow, and accept my deepest, most heartfelt apologies.
Truly yours,
Moonshine.***EDIT***:flick:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Not sure about that....also its called DIRTING (drop the Y)

I think you would have more than normal air pockets, Build up. Not really sure but it is a nice thought. I never really had any problem with getting the dirty, but there is one rule about a dirted tank...once you plant it let it be (no rearranging) if there is a plant with deep roots CUT it as close to the substrate as possible and leave the roots be.

·
Registered
745 Posts
its really overexaggerated about not being able to move your plants after you go dirt substrate

after some time...the soil becomes so waterlogged that if you do pull up a plant or two...the soil comes up and sinks within seconds/minutes

...of course if you are doing soil capped with WHITE PFS...then it will look messy if you rearrange too much

basically tho...if you are using a dirt substrate, no major rescapes or overhauls of your tank and youll be fine

also...the filter floss idea is overkill and not needed

·
Registered
430 Posts
the filter floss may work (I agree it's overkill). Another problem - if you ever do decide to move a plant I am sure the roots would be so intertwined with the floss that you might end up pulling it up like a carpet or simply tearing the roots off the crown.
I would not take this approach.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Skip adding the floss in the sub layering,,, bad idea. Hopeless mess with the roots getting in it.

edits were a giggle.

reading the first post I caught the comment that you have 'dirted:smile:' tanks before so you know what to expect with a new setup.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I actually tried this in a previous tank, I laid polyfil over a thin layer of osmocote pellets. as mentioned above, the roots got tangled in the polyfill and essentially became immovable. So I would not recommend it, as it makes it even more difficult to move plants.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually tried this in a previous tank, I laid polyfil over a thin layer of osmocote pellets. as mentioned above, the roots got tangled in the polyfill and essentially became immovable. So I would not recommend it, as it makes it even more difficult to move plants.
Awesome! Thanks for filling me in. I really appreciate it. I'll just use a couple of inches of sand over the dirt then. Thanks much!

And I do apologize if I'm coming off as petty. I have a sense of humor that many don't get. The edit was supposed to be funny. Jason, sorry if I have offended.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Have used Nylon mesh found at craft and hobby stores to cover dirt and then cap with sand.
Mesh I used was near as small as window screen. Root's don't penetrate through the mesh and apparently didn't need to to sustain growth.
Actually made less of a mess when moving plant's by keeping dirt and sand from mixing.

·
Registered
745 Posts
but thats half the magic of the internet

...it happens, no big deal
the way I read the edit was in a sarcastic voice because I saw the thread before and AFTER the edit
I guess if I read the entire thing in one sitting, I would have thought differently

I read it as

you say something...someone corrects you...and you make a big, sarcastic scene like "Im soo-ooo-ry [read with multiple syllables])"

but still...if youre worried about making a mess with your substrate, just get a commercial substrate and keep it uniform...like all flourite, all eco complete, all floramax etc..then you can move and rearrange all you want

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.