The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know somebody that is giving up on the hobbie and all his discus died exept one. Do you guys think it's good to go rescue it but only have 1 in my tank.

These are expensive fish so I don't know when the next time I'll be buying another one to keep him company. So keeping just one in a tank, is that ok....if that is all I can do for now. I know they should atleast be paired but as long as he can hold for about 2 months or so when I get a bigger tank.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Depends what the other discus died of. If it was parasite or bacterial, then I would not introduce it into your tank, unless you do not have any other fish in there. Of course, the only problem is, if you need to use any meds, the meds might effect your plants. Unless you put the discus in a QT tank for awhile.

I would much prefer that the discus go to another person, who keeps other discus and can give good care. I'm not saying you would not be able to take good care of it, but at least, the discus can be with other discus. Discus, do better in groups.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
it depends on what setup you have too.. they require, soft, low pH, clean waters... and room to swim. so if your setup is not that then you can't really rescue the guy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
there next to schooling fish ide say. VERY hard to keep the tank clean especially when its not bare bottom. not for the beginner , even a rescue can end up costing you alot in water treatment , meds, equipment blah blah blah.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts