The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 20 G long I keep finding my two nerites upside down on the bottom. The first time I was afraid they were sick and put them in a holding tank for a couple months but there was nothing wrong with them. They're back in the 20 G long but it continues to happen, every other day I'll find one upside down inside his shell.

Water parameters are fine and the snails are not going to the top as they do if they don't like the water. When I find them upside down, I right them and they go about their way as if nothing happened. I do have a little more water movement with both an AQ20 and 30 running. Also there are elevated logs they can crawl on, is this possibly just a result of falling/being swept in a current? It doesn't appear they can right themselves, I think they'll stay upside down until I right them.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yeah nerite snails are unable to right themselves unless they land close to something to grab onto. Their natural environment is tidal so if there isn't a rock or seaweed close the tidal current would eventually flip them over.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I've actual read an article that nerites can crawl out of their shell (probably not fully, but they can get enough wiggle room to reach the ground) inorder to right themselves. They might not do that though if there are potential threats/predators around (they don't want to make themselves vulnerable coming out of the shell).

Just watch them once they been up, a fish is probably knocking them down.
What fish are in there?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.