The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So about 3 months ago I shut down the 12 gallon long (it'll make a comeback at some point, perhaps). The current tank that I have my attention turned towards is a 17G rimless I had custom made.
After some miscommunication with the builder I somehow have a 60P sized tank with 1/2" glass. I think for my drunken nights home, if i were to bump into my tank in the dark, it's more likely i'll take the worser damage. At least that's how I justified the thicker glass. In any case it was $40 CAD, so it was cheap enough.

Keeping things short and simple, I originally set up the tank as so with the help of an old friend in Mid-July (.mko here on TPT):

A couple months later, sand was getting dirty constantly and substrate kept falling over onto it, I swapped out to sand and decided to make use of some extra Monte Carlo I had sitting around in a tub.

But the tank never really took off. MC melted, nothing grew, and the tank suddenly crashed one day, I lost a lot of fish. I tried to help it recover, lots of WC's but alas it ended up as such.

This is from October 3rd, 2015. I got sick of looking at it look so sad.

So I tore it down and re-used whatever I could, and here's how the tank sits today:

Some changes are I remounted the conduit on my stand so that it sits a bit shorter and more centered on the tank. It was back biased prior due to a mistake in my measurements when I was building the stand. I'll upload pics of the stand/light setup later.

Changed the setup mainly because I wanted more plants. I wanted to get more contrast in leaf shapes, sizes and colours. The end goal is to let this grow out and let it be a natural unmanicured mess that won't be a jungle to look at either with at least *some* structure.

Tank: 1/2" Glass. Dimensions are 24x12x14. Essentially the same as a 60P.
Lighting: Finnex Ray 2 - suspended 3" above tank via conduit.
Filtration: Cobalt EXT Pump w/ API Nexx Body - will be replaced with an Eheim 2215 once I get the pipes. Supplemented by an Eheim Skim 350 Surface Skimmer.
CO2: CO2Art w/ 5lb cylinder via UpAqua inline atomizer @ 1BPS.
Fauna: 6 CPD, 1 Albino BN Pleco.
Flora: S. Repens, E. Acicularis sp. Mini, H. Polysperma "Rosanervig", R. Rotundfolia sp. Pink, B. Japonica, H. Pinnatifida, Java Fern "Narrow", Anubias Nana, A. Reineckii sp. Mini, C. Wendtii.

Any suggestions for carpet? Debating between going Micranthemum Monte Carlo again, Eleocharis Acicularis sp. Mini, or Staurogyne Repens. Will be buying a pot or two of some of Tropica 1-2 grow.
Also any other plant suggestions are appreciated. Debating on adding some Hydrocotyl Triparta in front of the blyxa on the left side as well.

Advice appreciated, comments welcome. Thanks for viewing guys.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
According to this...
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/145-finnex/189944-finnex-ray-ii-fugeray-par-data.html
I think you don't have the CO2 level needed for your light level.
Also any Hygro plants will take up more Potassium than other plants.
IMO this results in any shelf brand fert to be inadequate "as is" and more Potassium
needs to be added to offset the use from the Hygro.
There's an odd one now and then, but 3BPS is common for CO2.
So also is turning it on one hr before the light come on and off one hr before lights off.
Usually people suggest you pick days which allow you to sit in front of the tank and watch the reaction that the fish have to it and turn up the CO2 just a small amount on each of these days till you do get a reaction from them. Then you cut it back just a bit and that setting will give you the maximum amount of it that your set up should have.
So I see it mostly as a small adjustment to the CO2 followed by watching the plants for any deficiencies that may come as the result of the faster growth potential they have
with a better balance between light and CO2. Because light/CO2 and ferts need to be balanced.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Raymond.

I think another issue I had is that I may have messed up my calculations when I was mixing my last set of dry-ferts. The batch i did for my 12 was too strong, and now conversely this batch is much too diluted. I will be ordering a new set of fertilizers (pre-mixed) fairly soon here. I will turn up the CO2 - as i've been basing it off the drop checker as of late - I don't think that might be the best way to go at it, since the reaction can be a bit slow.
I added a second timer just now and increased my CO2 rate a bit more.

Any suggestions for carpet?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
60P=15G- deco/sub etc=13.5g for calculating ferts. I would use separate nutrient type like those from here...
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...quid-ferts|cholla-wood|ials|hc|ug|others.html
Since you already mix yours you may have the bottles already. But check the DIY liquid ferts part. If you already have the bottles you could just get the refil packs from him.
If you notice, some fert list give also a listing for using K2SO4 along/w the regular KNO3. But this is usually listed as an option. But with any Hygro plants that would be one reason to add that "optional" part.
This is the list that I use. It is for EI ferts and no I don't use injected CO2, but I only dose one of each micro/macro each week instead of three of each.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...697-dry-dosing-nutrient-solution-recipes.html
But whatever works best for you I believe is the expression that it boils down to.
I have both a native "collected" DHG and some marsilea Minuto in one of my tanks.
I think the MM is easier, but does look odd compared to any regular plant. Grows
very slow compared to most plants so it won't overrun things at that speed anyway.
The kind of DHG I have is also very slow but I can see it being a bit more aggressive.
I only collected 4 or 5 little 5-7 leaf clumps of it. Took 8 months to start doing runners.
The MM plant(s) are in the bottom right. It got moved about 3 weeks after I put it in there and to a place/w a bit less light than when first put in.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/pGallery/pg_12001e.jpg

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Tank looks phenomenal, Kayen!

I think glosso with dwarf hair grass would be a nice carpet.

Lots of bolbitis behind the driftwood and anubias nana 'petite' on the rocks around the driftwood would look good, too.

Even as is, though, you can tell that it's going to be stunning when it grows out. Keep it up!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An update for now. Got a couple 1-2 grow pots of A.R Mini and S. Repens each. Pulled out some emersed Micranthemum "Monte Carlo" out (don't have much - will go out and buy a pot of 1-2 grow when I've the funds), and did some planting. Other plants doing well it seems.

As for fertilizers, I can't say exactly what I mixed right now (somewhere its on a scrunched up post it note).
On MWF: KNO3/K2SO4/KH2PO4
On TRS: CSM+B macro mix.
On Sunday: 50% WC

As for stocking that will come a bit further down the line, but curious on what to add. Thinking a few otos and another species of fish that is red... Ember tetras perhaps?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a little update on the tank:

Plants are growing fine. Micranthemum Monte Carlo is taking awhile to establish whilst the S. Repens seems to be doing fairly well... I may consider just spreading out the S. Repens and doing a carpet of that here. Additionally, I am not too happy with the wood right now, just doesn't look right or growing right. Might rescape again, with similar plant layout, albeit using ohko in the centered "cluster" instead. Added a single T5HO in the back. Seems to not be creating too much algae.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
After some miscommunication with the builder I somehow have a 60P sized tank with 1/2" glass. I think for my drunken nights home, if i were to bump into my tank in the dark, it's more likely i'll take the worser damage. At least that's how I justified the thicker glass.
You got a belly shaking laugh out of me with this line!
Anyway, just wanted to say it's looking real good, and forty bucks Canadian for a custom rimless 17G tank is a steal. What did you do? Blackmail the guy?

·
Registered
5,738 Posts

Plants are growing fine. Micranthemum Monte Carlo is taking awhile to establish whilst the S. Repens seems to be doing fairly well... I may consider just spreading out the S. Repens and doing a carpet of that here. Additionally, I am not too happy with the wood right now, just doesn't look right or growing right. Might rescape again, with similar plant layout, albeit using ohko in the centered "cluster" instead. Added a single T5HO in the back. Seems to not be creating too much algae.
Love the look of the thick moss growth on the left thick piece of wood. Which moss is that?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Love the look of the thick moss growth on the left thick piece of wood. Which moss is that?
It's just plain jane Xmas moss!!

Half inch glass? Jeez!
Yup. Waaaay too thick, but it's in a high traffic area so I guess better safe than sorry. At least that's still how I'm justifying it.

Here's another update to the tank. I've rescaped the tank again. Being a bit busy with working 60 hour weeks - the maintenance and trimming on rotala served to be a bit much before it shaded and choked out my other plants. Drawing inspiration and how much I enjoyed the scape in my 12 gallon long, I decided to go with an ohko canyon-esque route again.

Plants are simple this time: a.R. mini, blyxa , staurogyne repens. Might add some eleocharis acicularis sp. Mini to fill in some gaps later.

Less wood obstructing the flow.
No worries though all the moss wood, ferns and anubias are being moved to a Mini M I have .

Any stock suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
It's just plain jane Xmas moss!!
I thought xmas moss was the moss on the far right branch. It looks more compact on the left side.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Just an update. Will be pulling out my DSLR and getting better shots in a few weeks once all the plants are better grown out.

Ordered a bunch of stuff for this tank:

- LED Backlighting strip.
- Opaque film for background
- Eheim 2215 replacement impeller (received - and installed, filter finally quiet - will replace Cobalt EXT)
- 12/16 Lily Pipes off eBay - hoping don't break.
- Ista Turbo Inline CO2 Reactor.
- PPS Pro Fertilization set - i'm super busy and it's all pre-mixed for me to just pump and go. I work 60+ hours a week, so anything to streamline maintenance is much appreciated.

Added my Albino BN Pleco for about a week and a half now - it's looking super happy so far!
Added 4 assassin snails as well which didn't fair too well either.

Just added some more fish:

3x Otocinclus
3x Siamese Algae Eaters - one they get big I will move them into my 65 gallon which already has a few.

Currently dealing with staghorn algae plaguing me. I removed the extra T5HO and running only the Ray 2 now which seems to be doing the trick - the A.R Mini seems to be starting to get bigger on me finally. S. Repens is establishing itself fairly well as well as the Blyxa Japonica.

Most importantly:
How would you fight staghorn?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Just an update. Will be pulling out my DSLR and getting better shots in a few weeks once all the plants are better grown out.

Ordered a bunch of stuff for this tank:

- LED Backlighting strip.
- Opaque film for background
- Eheim 2215 replacement impeller (received - and installed, filter finally quiet - will replace Cobalt EXT)
- 12/16 Lily Pipes off eBay - hoping don't break.
- Ista Turbo Inline CO2 Reactor.
- PPS Pro Fertilization set - i'm super busy and it's all pre-mixed for me to just pump and go. I work 60+ hours a week, so anything to streamline maintenance is much appreciated.

Added my Albino BN Pleco for about a week and a half now - it's looking super happy so far!
Added 4 assassin snails as well which didn't fair too well either.

Just added some more fish:

3x Otocinclus
3x Siamese Algae Eaters - one they get big I will move them into my 65 gallon which already has a few.

Currently dealing with staghorn algae plaguing me. I removed the extra T5HO and running only the Ray 2 now which seems to be doing the trick - the A.R Mini seems to be starting to get bigger on me finally. S. Repens is establishing itself fairly well as well as the Blyxa Japonica.

Most importantly:
How would you fight staghorn?
Make sure your CO2 and flow are consistent. Thats all lol.

Also your tank is beautiful! All the incarnations!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick update:
Everything is filling in nicely.

Lily pipes are in. Also picking up a lighting and heater upgrade:
- Hydor 200W Inline Heater
- ADA Aquasky 601 - this one will be tricky on how I'll mount it on this tank with thicker glass, but i'll figure it out...

Once I change over the filter and lighting and all i'll report back.

I feel that in the back behind the "cliffs" or beyond past the canyon in between the blyxa i should have a different plant than S. Repens.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got the new light, filter, and CO2 reactor all done up. It's an odd point in this hobby after being it for so long, that I have finally have the funds to pour into it - now that I am done University and have full time jobs.

Loving the Aquasky - the spectrum just seems "better" than the Ray2, can't put my finger on it. Much more pearling from the plants today, so that is a real plus.
After I got home from work today I got started on moving over to the Eheim 2215 along with the inline heater and the CO2 reactor in addition to a 40% WC.
4 hours later - no leaks so far. Equipment so far I'm all done - now just let the plants grow and fight back the staghorn algae.

Of course, here are pictures:

Full Tank Shot:

Here's an ugly shot of the inside of my stand:

(of course you can tell how Canadian I am with the Canadian tire bucket I use for my water changes).

Comments, suggestions, etc. appreciated as always. Happy tanking all!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hey you're Canadian too! Hello! Lol... re: Canadian tires bucket

Your staurogyne reopens growing great!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts