The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
That looks really great, especially considering how tall the tank is compared to the stones. I usually don't like Iwagumi in tall tanks, especially this tall but you pulled it off. That's a feat in itself. Great tank, love the stone and layout.
Thanks Matt, hairgrass is sending off runners. No update on Blyxa which seems to be not doing anything.

I lost one of the Stiphodons yesterday, it was struggling the moment I put it in the tank, and it seemed like it was only a matter of time. The other two are doing fine and feeding good.

Also diatoms seem to be taking over really fast, and getting some green algae as well.
Right now i'm only dosing some seachem flourish every week, in addition to 0.3BPS CO2.

heater for Chi

Howdy guys, I'm new here and this will be my first post. Kayen, I saw that you're looking for a heater for your Chi. I've been using a Finnex 50w titanium heater on my Chi since last October with great success.

http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Contro...Gallon/dp/B00354QO9Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

My main complaint would be the power cord is thick and stiff, would be nice if it was bent 90 degrees at the heater since you're supposed to have the heater placed horizontally. I had it hidden behind a piece of driftwood.

Here's a pic from last November after I first set it up:

I think at this point try to scrape as much off as you can and stick to regular water changes. Eventually all the silicates will be removed (which is what diatoms feed on). If you'd like to speed things up, maybe add an oto as a one-man clean-up crew (the RCS will help). There are chemical products but I would look at those as a last resort. Completely up to you! This thread was pretty informative for me when I had a diatom bloom: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=60144

Nice tank, either way :) I have a Chi myself! I have an Elite submersible Preset 25-watt mini-heater that keeps my water temps between 68-73 at the lowest setting. It's not super pretty but it works. I could have placed it sideways and behind the filter now that I look at the picture... not sure why I didn't, hah!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.