The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! This is my first time posting but I've been lurking the forums for a year or two now taking advice passively and incorporating everything I've learned into my tank. The setup is technically 3 or 4 years old but has been reincarnated a few times keeping essentially the same stock but new substrate, different arrangements, different approaches to things etc. This current reincarnation is probably about 10 months old.

Here's some general info:

The Setup:

45 gallon tall
Pool filter sand fertilized with API Root Tabs
Marineland Emperor 400 HOB
Marineland Double-Bright LED lighting (36")
Fluval heater with a mirrored surface (I can't remember the wattage...)
No liquid or dry ferts at all (minus the root tabs) though I used to dose API leaf zone after water changes but stopped because of algae and high NO3

Flora:

Anubias barteri "broad leaf"
Amazon Swords
Dwarf Sagittaria
Water Wisteria
Jungle Vals (Vallisneria americana)
Anacharis
3 Marimo balls
Java Fern (Regular and Windelov variant)
Java Moss

Fauna:

5 Harlequin Rasbora
5 Zebra Danio (1 is a glofish)
3 False Julii Cory Cats
3 Khuli Loaches
1 Female Betta
2 Nerite Snails
??? Malaysian Trumpet Snails
??? Ramshorn Snails
??? Pond Snails (their numbers seem to be passively declining)

Stats:

pH: ~7.4
Nitrate: ~40ppm (I have no idea why it hovers so high)
Nitrite: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
GH: between 150 and 300ppm
KH: between 40 and 80ppm

I'm really happy with how the tank has turned out growth wise but it is suffering from a few minor problems that I'd like to correct.

1. Algae growing in my Java moss and on the leaves of a few other plants
2. My high level of nitrates (I've been doing larger water changes once a week but it doesn't seem to be doing anything)
3. Something is eating my plants. I suspect pond snails but I'm not 100% certain with this. They seem to favor the java fern, the wisteria, and the swords.

Any comments/advice/constructive criticism welcome :)

tl;dr: Here's my tank leave a comment or some advice if you'd like!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
One problem I see is you don't have enough plants to offset the competition against algae. The other I think I see is a nutrient deficiency as noted by the yellowing of some of the leaves. Those holes likely indicated nutrient deficiency. I think the deficiencies I see are potassium and magnesium. I'll check my assumptions later when I'm on my pc and report back, unless someone confirms or names the problem correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for giving some input! I know it was a pretty large post.
I had a suspicion that adding more plants might help offset the algae and hopefully reduce the NO3 levels in the tank so I will definitely try to add some more plants in the upcoming weeks.
I hadn't considered magnesium or potassium as potential deficiencies (I'm not very knowledgeable on nutrients, fertilizing etc. yet); I'll look into finding a good source for those.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Thanks for giving some input! I know it was a pretty large post.
I had a suspicion that adding more plants might help offset the algae and hopefully reduce the NO3 levels in the tank so I will definitely try to add some more plants in the upcoming weeks.
I hadn't considered magnesium or potassium as potential deficiencies (I'm not very knowledgeable on nutrients, fertilizing etc. yet); I'll look into finding a good source for those.
Here's a chart.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
First time posting here, and I want to say that your tank is gorgeous!

A few things that I noticed are the following:

• You don't have a carbon source listed - are you going to do carbon dioxide injection in the future?

• You stated you don't fertilize due to algae and high nitrates. What do the plants have for nutrients besides the root tabs?

• If the deficiencies are potassium and magnesium, you should dose with liquid potassium (plants prefer potassium in the water column), and can correct magnesium with some Epsom salts (I believe it's 1 tsp per 10 gallons but I need to double check).

• How often do you clean your filters? Denitrification would assist in your nitrate problem but it only occurs in anaerobic environments with organic matter (i.e., clogged filters or having a soil substrate).

• What is the wattage for your lights? Is there a way you can increase your lighting so that the algae can be inhibited by the light?
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
73 Posts
welcome fellow ohioan! looks really nice. i had an issue with that kind of algae before. it was almost as bad as cyano. took over everything. i hope you're able to get it under control!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts