The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
purchased ferts from Nilcog and got EI based NPK + CSM+B 2lb KNO3, 1/2lb KH2PO4, 1/2lb K2SO4, and 1/2lb CSM+B.
I'm trying to premix the solutions in 4L jugs for a 33g tank at the 15ml dosing volume. I used the dosing calculator Here.
The site has a calculator for KNO3, KH2PO4, and CSM+B. But here's my problem, I also got the k2SO4 from nilcog and I don't have any idea on where to put it and what dose.
Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Hi jefferzbooboo,

Some versions of EI dosing indicate using K2SO4 and some do not. If there is a lot of potassium in your local water you may not need it. I do not have many nutrients in our water here in Seattle, so I have to add it. I find that dosing the K2SO4 at the same dosage as KH2PO4 is a good place to start. It is part of your macro solution so it can be added to your KNO3 or your KH2PO4 but since you dose it at the same level as the KH2PO4 I would put it in that jug.

·
Registered
289 Posts
according to rotalabutterfly.com KNO3 gives you 4.73 ppm of K. So you need 7.5-4.73=2.77ppm extra K, which is actually a bit more than the PO4 you need. I would go in there and play with the numbers.

In reality tank uptakes vary wildly so you should really be varying dosages based on plant appearances after a few weeks rather than sticking to a certain supply.

·
Planted Tanker
6,070 Posts
Use this one Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator

As SA mentioned above, you'll get some K from KNO3, and a wee bit from KH2PO4, which the calculator will show, so subtract those amounts from the total K you want to dose.

5-8 ppm total, 3x week, should be sufficient for most EI tanks

Also this, after you've been going for a while ->

In reality tank uptakes vary wildly so you should really be varying dosages based on plant appearances after a few weeks rather than sticking to a certain supply.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
easternlethal In reality tank uptakes vary wildly so you should really be varying dosages based on plant appearances after a few weeks rather than sticking to a certain supply.[/QUOTE said:
Any plant with the letters hydro at the beginning of them take up quite a bit more Potassium than normal.

I trust the author on this one...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...697-dry-dosing-nutrient-solution-recipes.html

I use the one for the 10g tank size, but since I have neither a heavily planted tank nor injected CO2 I only use 3ml per dose and do two doses
per week. But I still maintain the 50% WC.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i recommend using a smaller container( so you will have a fresh batch every coupe months) maybe 1 liter solution, 1 liter solution at 15 ml/ dosing means around 65 dose over 2 months everyday.
like what everybody is saying, follow the recommended mix and then tweak it as you go depending on you plants progress, overtime you will encounter deficiencies.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
My water supply has 4.7mg/l potassium levels. I shouldn't need to dose potassium then should I?
Hi jefferzbooboo,

Your water only has 4.7mg/l or about 4.7ppm of potassium (K) when it comes from the tap (and that number probably varies greatly with the time of year). The plants will utilize that 4.7ppm and then what?

According to the rotalabutterfly.com calculations provided by easternlethal normal EI dosing is only going to provide you with 4.73 ppm. What are you going to do to make up the difference, water changes alone (assuming 50% weekly) is only going to provide you with 2.35ppm of K weekly so you will still come up short.

Personally, I like to aim for about 20ppm of potassium (K) in my tanks. Potassium is one of the key nutrients required for many of the photosynthesis functions in plants and and overdosing is not an issue like it can be with other nutrients.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Use this one Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator

As SA mentioned above, you'll get some K from KNO3, and a wee bit from KH2PO4, which the calculator will show, so subtract those amounts from the total K you want to dose.

5-8 ppm total, 3x week, should be sufficient for most EI tanks

Also this, after you've been going for a while ->

According to this calculator I have 17 gallon and 500ml bottle dosing 5ml per dose

I need to mix 107.56 grams of K2s04 is that correct? I use another calculator and that was base on 20 gallon but only want me to add 38gram of K2S04. Please help

·
Planted Tanker
6,070 Posts
According to this calculator I have 17 gallon and 500ml bottle dosing 5ml per dose

I need to mix 107.56 grams of K2s04 is that correct? I use another calculator and that was base on 20 gallon but only want me to add 38gram of K2S04. Please help
You calculated for the full EI dose of 7.5 ppm. Remember you have to subtract the K you're already getting from the KNO3 and K2HPO4

7.5 ppm N from KNO3 also provides 4.75 ppm of K. You'll get another .5 ppm from KH2PO4

7.5 ppm is the target dose for K

5.25 ppm is already being provided from the KNO3 and KH2PO4

7.5 - 5.25 = 2.25 ppm you want to add from K2SO4

Calculating for 17 gallons, 500 ml container, 5 ml dose -

"To reach your target of 2.25 ppm K you will need to add 32.27 grams of K2SO4 to your 500mL dosing container."

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
You calculated for the full EI dose of 7.5 ppm. Remember you have to subtract the K you're already getting from the KNO3 and K2HPO4

7.5 ppm N from KNO3 also provides 4.75 ppm of K. You'll get another .5 ppm from KH2PO4

7.5 ppm is the target dose for K

5.25 ppm is already being provided from the KNO3 and KH2PO4

7.5 - 5.25 = 2.25 ppm you want to add from K2SO4

Calculating for 17 gallons, 500 ml container, 5 ml dose -

"To reach your target of 2.25 ppm K you will need to add 32.27 grams of K2SO4 to your 500mL dosing container."
Burr740 do you ever get dizzy typing this up. I got a little dizzy just reading it.:laugh2::laugh2:

I just add tads, pinches, smidgens, dashes, and drops. Even that's become more complicated.....guess I gotta order these now.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
Better yet spend that $20 on a nice little digital scale. Thank me later :)
Burr my wife already thinks I am half nuts. I don't know if she can handle seeing me using a digital scale to weigh the ferts. I can already see the look on her face.....wait...on second thought....might be worth it!

She already refers to my aquarium sessions as playing "Animal Crossing". Anyone who played or whose kids played Animal Crossing knows she is right.

·
Planted Tanker
6,070 Posts
Burr my wife already thinks I am half nuts. I don't know if she can handle seeing me using a digital scale to weigh the ferts. I can already see the look on her face.....wait...on second thought....might be worth it!

She already refers to my aquarium sessions as playing "Animal Crossing". Anyone who played or whose kids played Animal Crossing knows she is right.
Haha. My girlfriend is the same way.

I'll be sitting on the couch, just innocently looking at my tank, when bam! comes a punch in the shoulder.....YOU'RE NOT EVEN WATCHING THE MOVIE!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.