The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many INTERNAL DIY moving bed filters, but I have never seen any external ones. I have seen a few sump set ups also, but I don’t have room for that.

Basically I would like to separate my bio filtration and mechanical into two separate filters. And I liked the idea of the moving bed filters because they are self-cleaning and need very little service. Does anyone make a canister style or have plans for a moving bed filter?
Also, why did the old sand style moving bed filters fall out of fashion?

LionelC

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have seen many INTERNAL DIY moving bed filters, but I have never seen any external ones. I have seen a few sump set ups also, but I don’t have room for that.

Basically I would like to separate my bio filtration and mechanical into two separate filters. And I liked the idea of the moving bed filters because they are self-cleaning and need very little service. Does anyone make a canister style or have plans for a moving bed filter?
Also, why did the old sand style moving bed filters fall out of fashion?

LionelC
No idea about a canister filter with moving bed. My guess is no due to limited space. They are popular in sumps if that's an option.

Also, sand beds were prone to collapse and the bacteria would die or there would be aerobic pockets which when the bed collapsed and then restored would pollute the water. Sand is a great medium for growing bacteria but is hard to keep under control.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. But I dont have room for a sump set-up. And that is good to know about the sand filters.

LionelC

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the link! I am looking for something exactly like this, but I was interested in K1 type media. The reason I wanated something like this is because I need to clean my mechanical filtration often and I was concerned with my ceramic bio media being cloged with detris and rotting plant mater that seems to fill my filter.

If I had a moving bed type bio filter with a prefilter it would require very little upkeep. I was concerned that the sand filters would be more supseptable to cloging with dirt that a K1 type media. I honestly dont know and would love to hear from anyone with experiance with either type.

I would then make or use one of my canister filters for mechanical filtration only.

LionelC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts