The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!
My Rio 180 is made of scary 6mm glass:eek:
Tha tank has a frame which holds the tank weight on the edges.
For my next setup i wanted to use a lot of rocks but i'm afraid the glass won't make it.
What do you think?:icon_lol:

·
Registered
144 Posts
If my conversions are correct 6mm is about 1/4 inch and your tank is almost 50 gallons US, I would go for all the rocks you want It should hold in my opinion. I had a 50 gallon with lots of rocks in it, it also had 1/4" glass and it held very well until I ran a razor blade down the side next to the silicone seal.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My 75g has 1/4" glass front and back and thinner glass on the sides 1/6" or so and I was really scared about the sides but as long as there is no bowing and properly supported, your 55g has very thick glass :)

If the bottom is tempered you certainly have nothing to worry about unless you're dropping rocks in LOL. My tank also is only supported by the plastic rim which is crazy but proven to work :p it has like a half inch lip of plastic that supports the tank

The other 95% of the bottom is open space and I'm able to see all the roots :) no support.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you're concerned about the rocks, do what some people do and place your rocks on some of that plastic "eggcrate" grid they use to diffuse light from fluorescent fixtures. That should spread the weight out so that it won't be a problem.

Then you can cover up the eggcrate with the substrate.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts