The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've been struggling with this one for a while, to the extent that I joined for help.
I have two juwel Rio 180 tanks and been in the hobby now for a few years. Much better now than I was with plants but I can't seem to keep any fast growing plants (totals, siamensis ect) in good shape. Slow growers like crypts and bucephalandra do very well, although the crypts get very tall.
I've been through all the top shelf liquid ferts and dry mixes but no change.
The leaves on the siamensis develop small holes, yellow and drop off.
Co2 is spot on and I can't see how it's a deficiency. Could be the light levels of the juwel Multilux? They don't provide any PAR information.
Would love to hear some options before spending money on lights.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi everyone. I've been struggling with this one for a while, to the extent that I joined for help.
I have two juwel Rio 180 tanks and been in the hobby now for a few years. Much better now than I was with plants but I can't seem to keep any fast growing plants (totals, siamensis ect) in good shape. Slow growers like crypts and bucephalandra do very well, although the crypts get very tall.
Co2 is spot on and I can't see how it's a deficiency. Could be the light levels of the juwel Multilux? They don't provide any PAR information.
I looked for the wattage of this unit, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere on the info page.
I would have said it's likely a fert/co2 issue if it wasn't for the crypt growing tall.
It might be worth to get a better light as the yellowing and decaying of leaves reminds me of what happened in my low tech aquarium. I thought it was due to ferts and no Co2. It turned out to be a lack of light, because when I replaced the cheap light that came with the tank the plants have never looked better with no other changes outside of the fixture.

·
Registered
12,528 Posts

First doesn't that light come in a tube and LED version?
Which do you have.
Second found out there is a 4 tube retrofit..
4 Tube Upgrade - 100cm T5 Light Unit, Juwel Compatible,Rio 180, +
39 x 4 = 156 Watts.

Light listed for your tank:

MultiLux LED 100cm (2x 23W/17W | 895mm)
The interchangeable 17 watt LED tubes DAY and NATURE
[*]Kelvin: 9000/6500
[*]Lumens: 5290
So the first odd thing, though it's not much different.. 23 or 17 watt leds?

Approx 20" deep. 47 gallons
PAR est (broad range) at the substrate is 50-ish..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts