The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does everyone choose Eheim over anyother brand of canister filter such as Rena or Fluval

i have a Rena Filstar XP2 and it works great.
is there a certain reason. is there less bypass. or is it more customizable

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
My favorite are the Rena XPs, I think they're more user-friendly.

Fluvals IMHO aren't quite user-friendly enough, and though I think overall are good filters, there are enough reports of issues with the fittings and hoses and such that I always just stick with Rena or Eheim since I'm happy with them.

I'll buy either Eheim or Rena, whichever one I find a better deal on at the time I'm looking to set up a tank. I think I own about 5 or 6 XPs and 3 or 4 Eheims these days... :confused1:

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I've used both Eheim and Rena. Right now on my tanks I'm running a 2213 and a XP2. I have to say, while they are both great filters, I prefer the ease of the XP2. It's just easier to work with and it's less messy during maintenance. The 2213 requires a lot more motivation on my part to even begin the maintenance.

I think I'll probably always go with XPs from now on, except for nano tanks where a 2213 or 2211 would be needed for space issues.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I've been using my Rena XP2 non stop for 5 years. I keep a spare seal kit on hand because of it's age but, haven't had to use it yet. I can hear it run if, I listen for it and the lights aren't on.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Had that "o-ring" leak thing on two of the canisters I had and could never get it fixed. Basically, if you use the primer on an eheim you are rolling the dice on when that leak will happen. I also found them to be quite loud in comparison. I did have limited success with the 2213 so I can't say it was all bad. I would buy one of those again. But anything other than that....nope.

I have had nothing but success with my Fluval 405 but I have heard people having nightmares with them. The Rena is new to me, but so far so good. I have two XP3's (only one running right now) and it seems to have some good umph to it. Enough to power a CO2 reactor.

I think all canisters have alot of Pro's, Con's and quirks.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
I have two Eccos. Both have had issues. One arrived broken, the other started leaking on the quick connect. I use duck tape to fix the issue. ;) Would I buy another? Perhaps. They do keep the water crystal clear.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I always try to avoid filters with accessory gadgets. Too many things to break. And most "all in one" model replacement parts are uber expensive. I just want my filter to be a filter- nothing more, nothing less.

Most of my Eheims are Classics and I've never had an issue with them (other than the 2217 is so durn heavy to move around when it's full and doesn't have HANDLES), but I just set up and Ecco on my 29gal and ya'll are getting me worried LOL

Oh well, I've got a 2215 or an XP2 I could throw on there if anything goes wrong...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok i was talking to a co worker about this and he said its cause eheims have a lower fow rate and thats what you want in a plant tank
is this true

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.