The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 10 gallon tank, with 6 dwarf puffers, 10 neon tetras, 2 guppies, and 8 shrimp...isn't this way to many fish for a 10 gallon???? he bought a few liv eplants but still>>>>:iamwithst ,,,what do u think

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Sounds like too many puffers. What is your friend feeding them? I would lost the guppies.

Its my understanding that dwarf puffers will only attack and nip large invertebrates when provoked or stressed. if well fed, they will leave them alone. But this is just heresay, not experience.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Dp's will make room if they need it!
i started with 4 in my ten- now i have 1 with some other oddballs. puffer+neons= parts of dead neons everywhere. they don't like shiny bright thingss.
guppies have flashy tails- a puffer attractant. shrimp- depends on the puffer, mine is fine w/them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HAHAHA my friend is so screwed, its gonna be jkz the day he says some of his fish are missing....LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
yeah the fish dont deserve to suffer just because your friend has overstocked the tank. He should really down size on the amount of fish he has. A ten gallon tank is pretty small for all those fish and he needs to be respectful to fish...they are animals too :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys are totally right, and i have many times told him what he's doing is endangering his fish, but he thinks he knows everything, he tells me that he bought live plants so the puffers each have their own territory...i hope more people post on this thread, so i can show it to him, and let him see how many people, who know more about fish than him, are saying that what he's doing is stupid.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i've got tons of live plants in my puffer tnak, still, they don't like each other very much.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Some people are like me -- we never learn unless it is the hard way. Heck sometimes (and I'm still guilty of this), we have to experience it "the hard way" multiple times to actually get it into our thick skulls :eek:

Oh well....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i knew my friend had way too many fish, hopefully this will make him get another tank for those poor fish.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's not a matter of intelligence but of research and experience. I remember my first tank, I pity the fish that lived in it. But over time I have learned alot. Just like many of the people on this forum...

·
Registered
89 Posts
big tank for beginners

Overstocking is so tempting when you have a small tank and it's the only one ya got. They say beginners should start with a bigger tank...maybe it's about more than water parameters. I shudder to think how many fish were once in my old tank.:icon_frow

1 - 20 of 22 Posts