The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, researching what to buy to get started on first tank! Have experience with tropical and marine, but not planted. Thinking of an acrylic SeaClear or Clear-for-Life 29 gallon 30x12x18, 1 FugeRay Planted LED, 24", Fluval U3 or U4 submersible filter. Want to have lightly planted, schooling fish, inverts, easy to maintain! Questions are: having trouble deciding on tank as I don't know what the top openings looks like; want to add the lights without a canopy (as I don't like that look, but still need to keep cat out and splashes in). Is there a better choice? Fluval U4 is 260 gph, is that enough? Is only 1 FugeRay Planted LED enough for low to med light level plants? Any other help would be awesome, thank you!
All4Fish in Michigan
PS - reading this site like crazy, very helpful, thanks all! iAlso ordered the book and read. I read and research everything I can find! Just saw a post about Deep Blue Professional 75 gallon and am re-thinking tank choice. Seems a wider tank has more options for visual depth, but don't want too deep, like over 20"? Any opinions on a 36x16.25x20 bow front? Any experience with Tru Aqua lo iron tanks? Worried about the openings on top of acrylic as too hard to access tank. What do you think? I want a low tech, easy to maintain, natural tank.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The light should be enough, and the filtration is good but you might find that you want another power head for increased flow. Wait to see, though. It is a very sleek looking tank with the lights, but yes, it will be very frustrating to access, especially with plants (positioning plants, trimming them, collecting trimmed bits, etc.) For an intro to planted tanks, I think a traditional open top tank will be much more enjoyable, as you'll probably find yourself tweaking stuff in the tank constantly in the first week or so. To avoid the canopy in a traditionally shaped tank, you could cover the tank with a sheet of milk crate and have a hanging fixture or some spotlights. I like those best.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much - I think the glass tank sounds much better for me as I am a gardener!! I think I found a place where I can get a glass tank as no one delivers, thinking of bigger now, like a 75g Marineland!! Love the idea of milk crate, will keep the cat out! Store tried to talk me out of Finnex though, so we shall see.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts