The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are setting up a 29g and have purchased a 30" Finnex Planted Plus as our light. Standard dimensions, 30" L x 18" H x 12" D

1. We are wanting to have both good fish coloration, and the ability to grow some plants as well. Will this light allow us to grow some plants while giving us good fish coloration without having the "washed out" look that some folks have said the Ray 2 presents??

2. I plan on going with the Walstad Method and using 1" soil capped with 1" gravel. I will be using a HOB filter rated for larger than the 29g. Does this sound good as well?

3. Fish stocking will be typical small fish (Tetras, etc.)

4. Any other concerns, or thoughts regarding what I planned so far? Please feel free to share them!!

THANKS!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know I'm new here, but can anyone offer thoughts? I have done a TON of reading and it seems that people either pursue plants first of importance, fish 2nd, or vice versa.

I am in the middle where I want to be able to both ideally have my fish be colorful and seen, and have some decent ability to grow/sustain live plants.

I have read many reviews saying the planted plus is not enough all by itself, but it seems those reviews were for larger tanks than for a 29g.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
A 29 is a big tank for just a HOB filter. I have an eheim 2226 and an aquaclear 70 running on mine. The plants really cut down on the circulation and an HOB doesn't have anywhere near the bio capacity that a canister does.
I wouldn't stress the colors of the fish being washed out too much. Are there fixtures out there that will do a better job? Certainly, but it's not like your fish will look like ghosts. You will have to carefully cycle the tank with that method. The soil has a lot of nitrates and that will cause some large ammonia spikes early on. Best to start with plants and add fish a month or two later once the tank is fully cycled. This is also another reason to consider a canister filter.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I used to keep freshwater fish some years ago (~20) and we never had any issues with just keeping fish with either a HOB or an undergravel filter.

Have things changed that much since then? Or is it because I am adding dirt/live plants to the system that requires a canister filter?

Appreciate the reply!

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

I used to keep freshwater fish some years ago (~20) and we never had any issues with just keeping fish with either a HOB or an undergravel filter.

Have things changed that much since then? Or is it because I am adding dirt/live plants to the system that requires a canister filter?

Appreciate the reply!
Ray2 is a bit short of red.. Canister filters are larger, more versatile, and not really that expensive.. AND they don't "Splash" like a HOB... I don't think you couldn't get by w/ a HOB.. I use one for my 20gal.. Wouldn't use it for the 40..

AS to UG.. YMMV..........
"We perform hundreds of water quality tests for our customers each month, and the vast majority of ammonia and nitrite problems in established tanks involve UG filters. Declining pH and live plant problems are also much more common in UG filtered tanks. "
http://www.bestfish.com/ug.html

Everyone has an opinion... ;)

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/ug5proscons.htm

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I am not considering an UG for this tank. So, the eheim 2226 that was mentioned earlier is quite expensive. Is there a recommendation for a cheaper one that would also work well here?

Does anyone have any experience with just 1 Finnex Planted Plus over a 29g?

·
Registered
12,860 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if I got the Eheim 2213 for a 29g, it should be fine?

Anything else I would need then as this would probably replace the HOB? or no?

Not sure what brands these days are the "knockoffs".

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
So if I got the Eheim 2213 for a 29g, it should be fine?
AFAICT yes.......
Not sure what brands these days are the "knockoffs".
Copy and paste this in an ebay search box.. ;)

3-STAGE AQUARIUM CANISTER FILTER + 9W UV STERILIZER 265 GPH FRESH/SALT 75 Gallon

I always get a kick out of this parts list.............

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Seems like there are mixed reviews about the Eheim 2213. Edit- Hmm, any thoughts about the Eheim Ecco 2234?

Would that be recommended from your experience?

Or something else in its price range?

LOL that parts list is funny!

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Seems like there are mixed reviews about the Eheim 2213. Edit- Hmm, any thoughts about the Eheim Ecco 2234?

Would that be recommended from your experience?

Or something else in its price range?

LOL that parts list is funny!
not that it matters much but most of the bad reviews I ever read had to do w/ the annoying way to prime it.. Also most do want a filter w/ larger throughput.. As to other brands the only scuttlebut I've heard is sealing problems on Fluvals..
Oddly little complaints about the Chinese copies..

MY only issue w/ the 2213 is getting the correct media (I dabble) that didn't produce some air lock occasionally..
I wouldn't call it THE best but I certainly have no issues .. most people do prefer the newer style.. but it is still up on the list..

Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Eheim Classic 2213 External Filter

Personally not enough experience w/ others to make a recommendation.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Or, since in a fairly heavily plantd tank, bio capacity is not near as important as in a tank without plants, my brother has an Aqua Clear 50 on his 29 but has it on one end insted of the back. Then he has one of those water jet type things which people normally put in salt water tanks on the other end at the top facing the filter that is on the other end. This makes a circular current in the tank going down on the end where the HOB filter is. He has had that filter for 8 years and I've heard quite a few other good reviews on how long they last. Plus you pick which media you use.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/...6/hagen-aquaclear-aquaclear-power-filter.html
This is the type of circulating pump I am talking about but not the brand which is something like "Hydor".
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/powerheads/aqueon-circulation-pump.html

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I would prefer an Eheim 2215 personally. I have a 2217 on my 29g currently but I have to slow down the flow a tad. Powerheads are used plenty in fw tanks, lol. Especially in larger tanks. They do make very small ones if you wanted to use one in a 29g tank. I don't personally like HOB filters with planted tanks, but that is just preference. Anyone of them should work as long as you pick the proper rating for your tank size.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm running a 2217 on my 29 as well. i think its the perfect option as far as filtering goes, and the 2215 would probably be just fine as well. regardless, i still want more water flow in my tank... (plants and drift wood leave dead spots)

i think your planted plus will be just fine for your tank
i personally chose a satellite plus for mine :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just converted my 29 gallon to a "junk tank" and added a Finnex Planted + - because I just could not help myself! Admittedly it's a "nice" junk tank now. It's a leftover plant and quarantine tank but I still wanted to grow plants, have low maintenance, and look nice. I wish I had waited for the new Finnex lights coming out soon that are dimmable and I believe you can control/mix the red lights. This would have been perfect since I do have fish in there and wanted want the flexibility to gear the lighting towards red (for fish viewing) instead of just growing plants. Oh well.

Had a Marineland HOB (two biowheels) for about 4 years. Finally got smart and moved to a Eheim 2213. I had goldfish in there at the time so the bioload was significant. The HOB was fine, but the junk it collected was annoying - I had to tear apart the HOB maybe every other month because the wheels would stop turning and the debris inside the HOB would accumulated with no way to get it out without taking that HOB out of the tank and giving it a good scrub. I also saw significant poop that I would siphon out every week. With the Eheim 2213, I can visually see much less debris in the tank and the amount of remaining poop was low. I should have changed to a canister filter a long time ago. Once you get the hang of cleaning the Eheim (I watched some YouTube videos), it's not bad. I also don't clean it as often (yes!) and my tank water looks great. Again, I had a good size bioload on that 29 gallon. I did not run the spray bar and that helped me control the flow.

I have a Eheim 2217, Pro 3, 2213, and 2211. Unfortunately each requires a different filter pad (what was I thinking?) but moving foward I am going to move to filter floss. Canister filters are great. I have two HOB filters that are now dry and stored in my basement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts