The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally convinced my wife to let me pick up another tank, and got it during Petco's $1/gallon sale. I'm letting my wife design the tank, within reason lol.

Fish: 3x Golden panda molly
Substrate: Lane Mt Sand #30
Light: 3x 21" T8
Filtration: Fluval HOB

I will be adding DIY Osmocote+ root tabs that I made. Any advice or suggestions on how to have a successful SAND planted tank are welcome.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I mixed in sand with eco complete and made a very nice looking scape, it lasted a month. After i started cleaning the tank it got all mixed up. while that has little to do with your setup it just reminded me. Another reason i will never use sand is it kept getting in the filter (AC50) and caused the rod to degrade and become loud over time, in just over a year i am ready to order my third.

cory cats helped to clean up some of the areas of the sand that i have left, just make sure to keep it clean, really clean! and leave the filter off for a while after doing water changes, that sand will eat your filter alive if it gets sucked in.

·
Registered
649 Posts
A prefilter is a good idea when using a HOB filter and sand. I have a tank with black sand and the biggest help in that tank is my Japanese Trap Door snails. They stir up the sand and I have had no issues with it settling in the 2+ years the tank has been running. I am only now trying out growing some cypts in that tank, so I am unsure as to if they will cause the plants to pop out of the sand. I have had strands of guppy grass tucked in the sand for years and this hasn't been an issue as of yet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A prefilter is a good idea when using a HOB filter and sand. I have a tank with black sand and the biggest help in that tank is my Japanese Trap Door snails. They stir up the sand and I have had no issues with it settling in the 2+ years the tank has been running. I am only now trying out growing some cypts in that tank, so I am unsure as to if they will cause the plants to pop out of the sand. I have had strands of guppy grass tucked in the sand for years and this hasn't been an issue as of yet.
Wow, two years? Any pics of your tank? The guy at the LFS said my plants wouldn't grow after two months due to sand compacting...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.