The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be starting a 20G high aquarium in the coming next few weeks and initially planned to use my existing Rena Filstar XP1 from my old 10g aquarium (purchased the filter in about 2005/2006).

I was all set and happy until I found an Eheim Ecco 2232 for next to nothing brand new. I have an inline Eth heater to use (5/8" hose fitting, made for the Rena line) that I'd use with the XP1. If I go with the Eheim, I'd buy the equivalent inline heater for that filter.

Overall, which filter is better for my application? My 20G H will be in our dining area, on our main floor (therefore noise is not a factor), and will be a moderately-heavily planted aquarium with a med/high bio-load:

2 German Blue Rams
10 Cardinal Tetras
6 Julli Corydoras
1 Nerite Snail

Assorted amano shrimp

I know I'm asking for trouble here with the filter comparison but I'm looking for an HONEST comparison from owners of both filters. I can just as easy sell either filter on eBay.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
All you are going to get is opinions. Mine is, both are fine filters.
I prefer the clips on the Rena, but I'm careful opening and closing the Ecco knowing that some people have broken canisters by forcing the handle/latch.

Which media cleaning and reloading is easier - in your opinion? Keep that one.

On the other hand, the new one will probably be easier to sell than the used one.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
I have a pro 2222 and am not sure that an Ecco 2232 is similar but with perhaps a bit more flow?

If thats the case I would say that my pro 2222 is about equal with my xp1 in terms of water moving ability so if the 2232 moves more water I think it would be the better choice. Not familiar with the Ecco line though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.