The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
https://youtu.be/tnvbVIcZZHc

Like the title says, I just wondered across this video on YouTube. I thought it was awesome and felt the need to share it with you.
OMG. Loved it.

I was just reading this before I saw your post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/06/07/fish-can-recognize-human-faces-and-we-know-because-they-keep-spitting-at-them/

Don't piss off an archerfish. He'll spit at your face every time, lol! Silly scientists. I have Bettas, I could have told them fish recognize faces.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I don't think it can really be termed an intelligent behavior, though. If it's a species-wide behavior, more than likely it's purely instinctive. A bird isn't intelligent for building a nest or flying south for the winter, it's just operating purely on instinct.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Quite the evolutionary trait! I was unaware of this, thank you for sharing!
At some point in that catfish's evolution, it was a learned behavior.
Migration may be instinctual, but where exactly to migrate to is a learned behavior. Birds can "override" their need to migrate if current conditions are favorable. Different cues, lead to different responses; temperature, food availability, etc.
Loads of examples of this people in the states can see all the time, if you know what to look for.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Quite the evolutionary trait! I was unaware of this, thank you for sharing!
At some point in that catfish's evolution, it was a learned behavior.
Migration may be instinctual, but where exactly to migrate to is a learned behavior. Birds can "override" their need to migrate if current conditions are favorable. Different cues, lead to different responses; temperature, food availability, etc.
Loads of examples of this people in the states can see all the time, if you know what to look for.
It's hard to know where evolutionary instinct ends and 'intelligence' begins. I sometimes feel they are the same.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The Monarch butterfly Migrates north and south... The interesting thing is, their lives are relatively short and it normally is descendants 3 generations or more older than the ones that set off on the trip, that are doing the return trip... I.e. the grandparents fly north, and the grand children do the return flight.

Our intelligence is limited to mere awareness. Our choices are already subconsciously made even before we become aware of having them. Even language is a vague attempt at telepathy, to let others see what you see in your head. Try and explain what a cup of coffee tastes like, without comparing it to anything else...

·
Banned
483 Posts
I had a friend whose gf stopped taking birth control but didn't tell him. No he has two kids and a miserable life, reminds me of this.

https://youtu.be/tnvbVIcZZHc

Like the title says, I just wondered across this video on YouTube. I thought it was awesome and felt the need to share it with you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.