The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this isn't my first aquarium but it will be my 1st planted tank. I've been keeping cichlids for a couple years now. We recently moved and in the process I ended up moving my cichlids into a new larger tank. After lurking around this forum for a while looking for all the information I needed to start my first planted aquarium I decided to turn my 40B into my first planted tank. Thought I'd become member of this forum to learn and contribute to the loads of info already here.

The first pic is of the new cichlid tank.

The second pic is of the 40B two days ago.

The third pic is of the 40B last night.

Equipment:
Filter - Fluval 305 (Cycled from use on cichlid tank)
Lighting - Current not sure what model
Substrate - Eco Complete mixed with Black Diamond

Fauna:
Two types of unidentified snails (I believe them to be Ramhorn and Trumpet snail.)

Flora:
Amazon Sword
Micro sword
Dwarf Hairgrass
Crypt Wendti
Purple Waffle
Rotala indica

Plans:
I like to find some java moss to attach to the driftwood. I'm currently putting together a stock list, but not completely sure what I should get. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looking like a good start. I'm also beginning my first planted after keeping non-planted in the past. Hope your first attempt at it grows and shows great!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Welcome to tpt,your cichlid tank looks great as does your 40b.Have to ask the inevitable questions about co2,ferts and the like.The dwarf hairgrass may be your most challenging at the moment as it does need moderate light and ferts especially root tabs and most important for making it spread is regular trimming to force it sideways instead of straight up,Great start and good luck.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I love the layout but the purple waffle has to go. It is not an aquatic and will melt in your tank really fouling things up. If you like that look (color and leaf -wise) there are some various crypt species that will fit the bill nicely

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks, I'm using osmocote as DIY root tabs. Once I learn more about using CO2 I think I might go that route, because I want the dwarf hairgrass to carpet. I didn't know about the purple waffle, I just wanted some color in that area, I'll look into some of the crypts. It's just hard to find a good selection of plants in my area. I also have a 10 and 20L still left to set up. I appreciate the feedback, i have a lot to learn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.