The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just lost my favorite fish today, my Apistogramma Cacatuoides :( . He had this sore on him, I I took a picture of it last night since I was going to ask you all if you knew of any causes and possibly cures, but I guess it was already too late. Here is what it looked like:

Just wondering if anyone knows what this might be and any ways to treat it for future reference.

Thanks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had him for about 3 weeks. He developed the sore after maybe a little less than a week. It started small and when he died the day after the pic, is was a little larger than the picture. I am wondering if it was some sort of parasite.

Interestingly, before he developed he starting rubbing against the ground as if he had ich. However there was no sign of white spots. I still raised the temperature just in case though. By the time I noticed the sore, he had already stopped the rubbing behaviour.

As for water params, the tank has been running for a few years so I dont test for ammonia or nitrites anymore. pH was in the 6s last time I measured. I use RODI as topoffs and have aquasoil, although I am sure it has lost most of its buffering capability as it is now just short of 4 years old.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I would try a bunch of water changes first and then start with something like Paraguard
At this point a seance would be a better idea.

To the OP: sorry about your loss. difficult to say what brought it down but still sucks none the less. Could have just been an abrasion of sorts that got infected. You had it such a short period of time it could've just been a goner from the get go due to being improperly raised, or shipped, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.