The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought 9 cardinals (no, not from Walmart hehe). I'm about to add them to my tank and I'm honestly kind of sick to my stomach. I really am going to hate watching 4 dollar fish die one by one. :icon_frow But they looked so darn good I couldn't resist trying. Well, here I go, cross your fingers for me!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, they are in the tank now after I've been acclimating them.. man they look so much better in my tank than they did at the pet store. I hope they like there new home. Still crossing my fingers in between observing how amazing they look!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There were Zebra Danios but I took out the dominant ones before I put the cardinals in. There is a betta; he hasn't bothered the cardinals but the first time he does he will be given to a freind. The zebra's will probably be all gone by this weekend. I don't want to euthanize them so I'm gonna give them to a freind as well. After that, just one small white mystery snail and some MTS. I'm adding CRS as soon as they come in the mail this week!

·
Registered
743 Posts
wow 4$ for a cardinal ? man i wish you luck too . i'll damn if 4$ a pop and die.. anyways sometime you gotta do what u gotta do . i always QT . but yesterday i got 75 fish and no more tank for QT tank , due to slowly down grade mostly sold , i just dump 75 fish in the main tank , i know 75 fish is alot of load at one , but o well . i know some will end up dying but fish i got is less than 1$ pop so ....
g/l

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In Joplin MO, a decent LFS would be an hour away. Next time I get more Cardinals it will be through Liveaquaria.com. If most of these keep I'm gonna get about 10 more. I just get sick of ordering everything online so when I seen these in great shape I couldn't control myself. :tongue: I already have 80 dollars in online orders coming this week alone. After that I'm done... ok, I might be able to rationalize a christmas present to myself...

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well its only been 6 hours but everything looks great for now. The cardinals no longer look sluggish and confused but are a lot more active; chasing each other and looking for food. They are actually behaving slightly like the danios before them. My only issue is I'm scared crapless of adding any nitrates for the plants. I'm about to add some iron and potassium...kinda scary. They should call this "Cardinal paranoia".

·
Registered
199 Posts
So I just bought 9 cardinals (no, not from Walmart hehe). I'm about to add them to my tank and I'm honestly kind of sick to my stomach. I really am going to hate watching 4 dollar fish die one by one. :icon_frow But they looked so darn good I couldn't resist trying. Well, here I go, cross your fingers for me!
do you have a decent LFS near you, we usually do 4 for $10 here in my shop, I would assume the going rate for cards is the same everywhere...
dude, no one around my town does Cardinal that cheap.... $4 is da cheapest! it's sux!! n like "anastasisariel" said, it hurts watchin 4 bucks fall one @ a time... that's y I'm so scared of buying those beautiful things. also sux, no one around here have many shrimp varieties. Just Ghost, and this one LFS got bamboo shrimp. :(

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
wow 4$ for a cardinal ? man i wish you luck too . i'll damn if 4$ a pop and die.. anyways sometime you gotta do what u gotta do . i always QT . but yesterday i got 75 fish and no more tank for QT tank , due to slowly down grade mostly sold , i just dump 75 fish in the main tank , i know 75 fish is alot of load at one , but o well . i know some will end up dying but fish i got is less than 1$ pop so ....
g/l
I find this to be a rather careless attitude to be honest. It's like saying a dog you got for free shouldn't be taken care of as well as a dog you had to pay for.

·
Registered
75 Posts
dude, no one around my town does Cardinal that cheap.... $4 is da cheapest! it's sux!! n like "anastasisariel" said, it hurts watchin 4 bucks fall one @ a time... that's y I'm so scared of buying those beautiful things. also sux, no one around here have many shrimp varieties. Just Ghost, and this one LFS got bamboo shrimp. :(

Wow... That's really expensive Cardinal Tetras! Pardon me, thought this species is from somewhere in South America? We here in Singapore pay SGD 50.00 for 100 pieces, and people are saying it's quite expensive for a small fish like tetras. Moreover, it's not easy to keep, once they have white spots disease,the whole school will DIE... Also life span is about 3 yrs max = 2 inch in size
Count ourselves lucky here in Singapore,I'm going to get about 500 pieces of Cardinals once my new 6ft planted tank is stable

Cheers,
K.C

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I've learned from experience if you keep Cardinals in the low 80s F they stay healthiest. And they can live MUCH longer than 2-3 years!

Makes sense that they'd be expensive in Singapore due to shipping costs- most Cardinals in the hobby are wild-caught in South America.

And because they're wild-caught, acclimating them slowly and QTing them for a few weeks is even more critical.

I STRONGLY don't recommend adding "fresh" cardinals to a main tank. Most of the time they are carrying some type of pathogen/parasite that really is best dealt with in QT.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.