The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Whoa! Lucky! Weird getting excited over a filter! No wonder people think I am strange!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cost 450.00

I priced it in Dr. Foster&Smith and they wanted 500.00.
It's very quiet. It's programmable and gives tank temparature. There is a flow bar that alerts you to a change in flow to the tank from the filter, when it gets to the point of needing cleaned

It allows you to set alerts to inform you when to do so services on your tank. I set chemical schedule with a phosphate cartridge in there. I wanted to keep it in for a week and then switch to the charcoal. It will alert me when to switch.

There are a few cartridges to pick from, at basically 29.00 every three months or so. If you choose to go that route.

Havn't cleaned it yet, but when I do, pull a tube out, rinse and replace. Couple of pushes for priming and it takes off.

I'll get a photo when I get this camera issue fixed.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
These filters seem really cool. The only problem I can see from just looking at them is the size of the media cartridges. They seem to be to small for larger tanks, unless ordering cartridges every month is not to hampering on the wallet I guess it would be fine.

For small tanks I could see this being really nice if the cartridges can go longer between changes. Good for maintenance company folks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what I saw they had a triflex cartridge, consisting of phosphate/charcoal/nitrate, it was 39.00,

ten dollars more then the others.

So far, so good :) I'll keep you up to date on any issues that come up

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I work at an lfs and we got the demo one in a couple of weeks ago...hagen trained me to use it...lmao

Anymoo...The guy said that as far as the carbon cartridge, the bottom just pops open, so all you have to do it open up the cartridge, pour out the old carbon, and replace it.

I'm not surehow often you have to change the pre filter, but it might be every couple of months or so once it clogs.

Overall I really like the filter. If I had 500 bucks laying around I would definantly get one, but alas, I'm just another poor college student...lol I've sold 2 so far since we got them in.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Get the G6 up and running yet? There seems to be a rather lack of reviews on the web. Bunch of press releases and "previews", but no one really tearing the unit down and giving it the once over.

One thing I don't understand, is the point of a G3 vs a G6. You're already in the 400-450 range with a G3...it's only 50 dollars more for a G6. Why wouldn't you get the G6?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Eheim only for me hope you realize that at 25 to 35 a pop a catridge will start to add up quickly and the filter then might not live up to your expectations but to each their own Good Luck!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well according to the literature, the main cartridges are capable of being rinsed and reused multiple times. The bio baskets pretty much last forever (just rinse every 3-6 months)...my next questions is if you can run 2x mechanical filters instead of dealing with the chemical cartridge. If so, you'd really only need 1 set total, then you're done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.