The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so excited because i finally found a nerite snail, no one in my area has had any!
I went to visit my friend at her collage an hour away and we went to petco and i figured id look even though my petco said they couldnt get them in....tadawww, i found two....and after the manager guy fished them out they fell out of the shelll....ohhhh noooo...dead! I then found one live one in the plant tank!
So i have now saved him from the clutches of bad petco care and high nitrates!

And now i want to make sure i do everything right. He will be living in my five gallon NPT that is starting to grow algae, the nitrates are low at 5-10ppms and the PH is around 8.0-8.2. I know i have calcium in my water because i get calcium deposits on my goldie tank.

Does any one have any suggestions on care or anything they have found out from past experience? I have never had snails before and i have done a lot of reading up on these little guys but i want to make sure i do everything right!!

Thanks!
Jasmine

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
other than dropping in some cucumber or zucchini when I feel the algae in my tank is a bit low... I really don't do anything special... Nerites also have a tendency to climb out of the water or sit and the edge of the water unmoving for days... dont freak out like I did lol...
Slow algae cleaners.. but super efficient... Between that and my oto.. I havent seen a single speck of algae in months...

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Other than keeping snails away from loaches and copper I don't really think that there is much to keeping them.

You don't have to target feed them all of the time but if you aren't dropping veggies or algae wafers for some of your other fish/inverts then you should probably do so a couple of times a week for the snails. Otherwise they just eat the stuff that the fish don't finish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.