The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says! I'm very excited as it is my first canister filter. I've wanted one for quite a while but never could pull the trigger because of finances. Today I couldn't say no. I may even go back and get the XP2 they had as well. I really shouldn't have spent the money on the first....:icon_lol:

I want to get a rimless tank and set up a low-tech shrimp only planted tank. I would like suggestions from members as to what tank and lighting you would recomend. I am trying to be as cost efficent as I can. I have used flourite that I bought from a member a while ago and I also have a heater. I wanted to go with something under 20g. Let me hear your ideas!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congrats! I also just bought a Rena XP1 that was on clearance, but the store was also relocating and they cut another 50% off the clearance price and I ended up getting it for $30! I haven't yet set mine up on my 28 gallon tank because I'm about to completely gut it and start with new substrate. I'll be running both the Rena and a Fluval C2 I've been using so far. I kinda messed with mine a little so far and it seems like the removable inlet and outlet valves are very hard to get back into the unit. You have to press very hard on the top of it to get it to latch. Maybe I should contact the manufacturer about it.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
What store was this at? Petsmart or? Nice deal!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
A 15 gallon tall tank is an interesting possibility. It has the same footprint as a standard 10 gallon, but is 50% higher, so taller plants work better, and with more water it is more stable. The XP2 would be more than enough filtration for that tank.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I also scored on the rena clearance. Except I bought the x3 for $53, epic score

·
Registered
529 Posts
I also scored on the rena clearance. Except I bought the x3 for $53, epic score
Very NICE! I saw an XP2 on clearance two weeks ago at our local Petsmart, but not nearly as discounted. It was gone when I was in there just this recent Sunday. I use Rena XP3 on all my tanks and wish I'd have seen such a deal as what you got, Grogan! I'd have picked one up just to have it on standby. No need for it currently, but a sweet deal like that almost can't be passed by!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have that one too on my 20g long tank and it does work great. Im still having some algae issues on the glass though but that could be from light coming from acroos the room as I have the blinds open all day for my regualr plants in the room.

I would like to get the 60-L green leaf aquarium which is 23.6 inches long. Even though I know I wanted to be cost effective, I love that tank. So I guess I need to look for a light that would go well with that tank. Here are the dimensions: 60cm x 30cm x 36cm (23.6 x 11.8 x 14.2in). Its 17 gallons.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ill give those a look. I see that there is a dual T5 24" coralife out there. I was thinking though of getting a lamp that can clip on the back since Im not planning on covering it and I dont want to suspend a light over it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.