The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed some staghorn in my 20g long. It looks identical to this picture I found:

160litersb+040.jpg (image)

It was only a very small amount growing in 2 or 3 places on an older (and unhealthy looking) crypt leaf that pre-dates the crypt being planted in the tank (the tank was setup 2-3 months ago). The leaf has been removed.

I run a finnex stingray about 12hrs a day. It is sitting on the glass, but is filtered through an acrylic lens which seems to slightly dim it. The location of the algae was 2" above the substrate in a front corner, which is a low light area, except that it is also the closest corner to a window (no direct sunlight however).

No CO2 in this tank. I dose 4ml Excel each day. I dose macros and micros (about 40% the EI recommended). 50% weekly water change. No fish. Plenty of RCS, Amanos, and Nerites.

I don't see any other staghorn in the tank, but I just want to make sure I nip this in the bud and this doesn't become a bigger problem. Any recommendations on changes to reduce the likelihood of it coming back?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Agree, reduce the light period for the moment. You can try and increase it later and see if some new staghorn appears. Other than this, how was the water circulation in that corner ? Did the plants overgrow in that part ? Remove damaged leaves so the algae does not have a place to take" root".

Excel also works for spot dosing.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Rena XP3, which is overkill for a 20g, so overall water circulation is very good. Can't say for sure that there isn't a dead spot in that corner. Plants are not overgrown. I'll reduce the photo period some.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.