The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd set a little something up to grow some plants. Got a little Aquatek nano and a paintball cylinder. Gotta love the low cost/ ease of refilling this thing. Much more convenient than a big cylinder- especially since I'll be in an apartment this fall.

Cut a glass lid today to cut down on evaporation. Just using some leftover stuff for the "scape" since the main focus will b to grow a couple of plants. I'm using some ADA hooks to hold the lid- they were about 1.5 mm too large for the glass on this aquarium so I superglued some little washers to them. Lid fits perfectly. :thumbsup:

I'm going to LA tomorrow, so hopefully I can get some plants in here next week.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank is nice. I like the bowed corners, has good dimensions, etc. Can't comment yet on the reg though because I haven't hooked it up yet.

Should I be using a nylon washer between the reg and cylinder connection like with a standard CO2 tank? Or should nylon thread tape suffice?

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'm planning fissidens, anubias petite, maybe some dwarf java fern. Might even do a coffeefolia despite how large they get.

Or could do some stems like s. repends, r. butterfly, downoi, etc. Not sure :)

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got around to setting up the CO2 for this tank last night. No pictures of the plants yet ;)

Running the CO2 through a bamboo skewer under the HOB intake. It's been a while since I've tried this method- it's not so common nowadays, but you can see that all of the CO2 bubbles adhere to the sponge in the back, which the water passes through, causing some pretty good diffusion (I would guess).

·
Registered
330 Posts
Should I be using a nylon washer between the reg and cylinder connection like with a standard CO2 tank? Or should nylon thread tape suffice?

I have an aquatek regulator and a 24oz paintball tank + adapter. I get my longest durations of CO2 when I put O rings between the tank-adapter, and adapter-regulator. Oh and I use teflon tape between those two things too.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, thanks for the input. The cylinder had an o-ring already installed on it- I'm wondering if that will suffice? So far after 24 hours the reg is holding steady at 1 BPS. Exactly what I wanted :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Figured I'd give a little review on the Aquatek nano- it's awesome! I've been running the same 24oz cylinder for almost 4 months now @ a steady 1bps (flow rate varied a little bit for the first week, then steadied out)

Got a little GDA due to overfeeding for the past few days to ensure that my baby endlers get something to eat.

image by http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/, on Flickr

image by http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/, on Flickr

I really need to get ride of some alternanthera and stauro here soon. Anyone wanna trade some anubias coffeefolia?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.