The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopefully the fun will begin! My plant list is in my sig and everythign seems to be growing well so far. I just added my frist dose of Excel and hope for some better looking plants in the near future.

how long does it take for results to start to show? I have a florite substrate and 40w plant light above the tank to help out too.

no pics just yet, because my aqua scaping sucks and I need so drift wood to finish soaking in my other aquarium. I may try to re-scape thing tonight if the wood will stay down.

I did some quick math on the bottle for my first dose and added 1.25mL for my dose today and will cut back to abut .25mL for future doses. The bottle called for a heavy first dose after a big water change, do you all do this too?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Just watch your livestock carefully after those heave first dosages. I usually only double the dosage after a water change and I have pretty good growth.

Are you dosing anything besides Excel? Excel alone won't cut it...

You're not going to see any magical changes but in a few weeks you should start seeing better growth rates.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, nothing else right now. The plants started doing really well a week ago and thought the breakdown of the extra fish food that isn't eaten and their waste will be enough of a source nitrogen.

I was talking to someone on another forum with a flourishing tank and he has nothing aside from fish and florite substrate. I think it's in a 38gal. I'm definitely open to suggestions though...you know, being a newbie and all :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nah, I'm sure most of the 40w is wasted. I'm using a desk lamp hung on the wall about 4" off the tank's top. It was a quick fix when I got the impulse to put this thing together one night. I'll be getting a coral life 20w flourescent bulb and building a canopy before long. I just want to get everything else settled before I spend money fixing somethign that already works fairly well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i have a ghetto tech set up too that i'm just dosing excell for the moment, and when i started dosing it frequently (instead of when i remember) the growth did take a noticable leap. now i understand why people say wisteria grows fast :) i wonder how things will pick up when i start dry fert dosing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.