The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I believe you need to have fish in it and alive for several weeks and with ammonia level at 0 ppm. I would be cautious with your soil because the organic content may leak into the "system" after several weeks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
set up is nice but u need to get some fish in there that u dont {i cant beleive im goin to say it} care about to get the filter working it should take 1 month at least
1 month? i feel like that is way overkill... seachem's stability works pretty decent if you put like 2-3 fish in it and dose the whole bottle in a week. Will be completely cycled in about a week and a half

·
Registered
575 Posts
Would be nice to see you do a fishless cycle instead of using fish. You end up with better karma.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Would be nice to see you do a fishless cycle instead of using fish. You end up with better karma.

You really don't not need to put any fish in harms way to cycle the tank. Just need the tank water to age for a week or 2. Then, put couple of fish in there. Feed them lightly. The ammonia level will not reach to a dangerous level before the bacteria begins to colonize on the filter media. You just need time. The type of filter you use will also affect how fast the bacteria can grow. I personally prefer the wet/dry method.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow....

No need to panic, the tank IS cycled.
I do not need to put fish in the tank, nor would I ever put fish in an uncycled tank and use them as an ammonia source when you can easily cycle a tank so so so many other ways.

Thank you both, they call me bruce, and tetra73, but aquasoil is full of ammonia, so no I don't need to put any fish in the tank.

also "no fish means no ammonia means to many nitrates means not cycled," makes no sense, no ammonia does not mean too many nitrated.
No ammonia, no nitrite does mean cycled, assuming there was ammonia in the first place.
I assume you guys don't know about aquasoil, believe me I'm sure its cycled, I've done fishless cycling with aquasoil many times, but its usually taken one to two weeks.

This time it was much faster because I cranked the temperature up very high, and all the crypts I left floating at the surface were covered in beneficial bacteria, and they soaked up lots of ammo and nitrite.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You guys are fervent!

Somehow I get 14 posts all from people that don't understand that I reused loads of plants from another tank covered with bacteria, and aquasoil has more ammonia in it than fish would ever provide.

I didn't post this because I had doubts of if it was cycled, I posted it just to say, "Look, it doesn't always take two weeks for aquasoil to leech all of its ammonia, if you just throw in a ton of floating plants and crank up the temperature, it can be done in 4 days."

I KNOW the tank is cycled, I've cycled tanks plenty of times, my test results are irrelevant.

It takes awhile to get going, my 5g had such a small biomass (fishless cycle) that it took 3 weeks to even register ammonia ect. I that is kind of an anomaly but it might not be registered yet, soo wait.
It is not an anomaly, if you did a fishless cycle that took 3 weeks for ammonia to register then you did it wrong - you can just add pure ammonia to 4ppm and it will register instantly.

So the OP believes the filter media is fully colonized with bacteria in 4 days? I wouldn't even know where to begin...
Where do you want to begin then cause you're acting like you know something I dont. I don't believe the filter media is fully colonized with bacteria. I know the tank, including substrate, plants, filter, over all, has a large enough bacterial population to reduce my ammonia and nitrite from 4-5 ppm to 0 after 4 days.

Ok, fully stock the tank tomorrow and report back in 2 weeks.
Why would I report back in 2 weeks? A fully stocked tank wont have a higher bioload than cycling with aquasoil has already prepared my tank for.
aquasoil leeches more nh3 than 30 goldfish - I can fully stock the tank at any time - in fact if I wait any longer my biological filtration will probably be getting weaker by the day because the ammonia spike is gone - now the bacteria are on top of it they will only start to die off as there is less and less food available.

I think everyone is not getting the fact that the tank had ammonia and nitrite readings for the first three days.
I didn't just go la la la, test on day 4, oh look no readings tank must be cycled. >_<

·
Registered
575 Posts
You guys are fervent!

Somehow I get 14 posts all from people that don't understand that I reused loads of plants from another tank covered with bacteria, and aquasoil has more ammonia in it than fish would ever provide.

I didn't post this because I had doubts of if it was cycled, I posted it just to say, "Look, it doesn't always take two weeks for aquasoil to leech all of its ammonia, if you just throw in a ton of floating plants and crank up the temperature, it can be done in 4 days."

I KNOW the tank is cycled, I've cycled tanks plenty of times, my test results are irrelevant.

It is not an anomaly, if you did a fishless cycle that took 3 weeks for ammonia to register then you did it wrong - you can just add pure ammonia to 4ppm and it will register instantly.

Where do you want to begin then cause you're acting like you know something I dont. I don't believe the filter media is fully colonized with bacteria. I know the tank, including substrate, plants, filter, over all, has a large enough bacterial population to reduce my ammonia and nitrite from 4-5 ppm to 0 after 4 days.

Why would I report back in 2 weeks? A fully stocked tank wont have a higher bioload than cycling with aquasoil has already prepared my tank for.
aquasoil leeches more nh3 than 30 goldfish - I can fully stock the tank at any time - in fact if I wait any longer my biological filtration will probably be getting weaker by the day because the ammonia spike is gone - now the bacteria are on top of it they will only start to die off as there is less and less food available.

I think everyone is not getting the fact that the tank had ammonia and nitrite readings for the first three days.
I didn't just go la la la, test on day 4, oh look no readings tank must be cycled. >_<
I think everyone missed the word "nitrate" in your posts. I know I did.
Hey, I just put synthetic oil in my '98 civic, now it does the quarter mile in under 12 seconds.

·
Registered
952 Posts
You got this many posts because the majority of what you said has been proven wrong and you did not give enough evidence to support it all. New hobbyists will read your post and see it as fact and have a terrible experience and possibly give up on the hobby and never return. If you think that you have come up with something and state it to the world, be ready to get bashed from every direction. That is how science works. If you state something be ready to fully support it. If we could cycle tanks in 3-4 days simply by throwing in plants from another cycled aquarium, everyone would be doing this.

·
Registered
575 Posts
You got this many posts because the majority of what you said has been proven wrong and you did not give enough evidence to support it all. New hobbyists will read your post and see it as fact and have a terrible experience and possibly give up on the hobby and never return. If you think that you have come up with something and state it to the world, be ready to get bashed from every direction. That is how science works. If you state something be ready to fully support it. If we could cycle tanks in 3-4 days simply by throwing in plants from another cycled aquarium, everyone would be doing this.
Better yet, support it in your original post, rather than reading all the replies with such disbelief.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.