The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a nube when it comes to the planted aquarium or anything, and I've had some previous and current experience with a planted nano shrimp tank, but I have a 10gl tank sitting in the corner of my room. I was just wondering if it is possible to fill it with substrate and plant it out and use it as a Red Cherry (rc) tank without filtration (the plants being the only filtration (sorta making it a pond, maybe?). I have tonnes of extra plant clippings/moss, and I have access to an unlimmited supply of substrate, so I was just wondering if they RC can live/thrive in a set up like this. I'd have lighitng, and I'd dose with ferts, but like, do shrimp have to have a filter? I would do water changes of course, and this would be a species tank, so there would be no excess waste from fish. Just wonderin what people think.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think you can, but you'd need to do water changes much more often.
Stagnant water is just not that swell though, so I'd rather have a homemade sponge filter (made with air pump + tube + sponge) than no filter.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You might make it work with just plants and no filter. But shrimp and other inverts are sensitive to nitrates, which would be found in fertilizers. So you might see some shrimp dying after a few months.

When the shrimp start to multiply you will surely have an ammonia spike, so check your ammonia every other day.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I wouldn't do it without any filtration. You can use a sponge filter run by airpump, or what I've done is simply added a small power head and covered the intake with cycled sponge from another filter and that worked fine. You can get a small hob relatively cheaply also- $10-$20. Otherwise I think the shrimp would be doomed.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Contrary to everyone else, I have had no problems with unfiltered tanks. Just keep the lighting low-med, don't add ferts and stick with fast growing plants. Also, keep the population under control. When they get two deep, thin 'em out a little bit, haha! Seriously, you should be fine. Just make sure to give the plants time to adjust to the new tank and then add the shrimp slowly. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
If you can't spend the extra $10-$20 to get a filter and set up a proper shrimp tank don't bother setting it up. This isn't a cheap hobby and trying to half ass it in the beginning only screws you up later on.

It always happens, so spend the extra few $s and buy an air filter or something similar.

-Andrew

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yes, you can do it for a while atleast. I've had my shrimp set up in a ten gallon planted tank with only dappled sunlight and no ferts or filters for a couple months now (link to it in my sig) and the only problem I've had was an outbreak of hydras from overfeeding. AAMOF, I had a hair algae problem before the shrimp, but they took care of it for me.

BUT, it's only been a couple months. There very well could be problems I'll encounter the longer it's up. One problem I can see happening very soon is overpopulation. I've got gobs of babies in it now, besides the fifty adults. I had a small pump that I was hanging on to in case I needed a filter ~ didn't work setting it up, so I'll be getting another or a hob soon. In the meantime I've been checking the nitrate/trite/ammonia levels closely, ready to do a water change and/or move some of the shrimp out if need be, but all is well so far.

I'm not advocating doing this for the long term. I think if I were you I'd believe the other posters here who have more experience than I do. I'm just saying I've been doing it for a short time and so far, so good. So if you can't afford a filter right now or just can't get one at the moment, but will be able to inside of the next couple months, I'd say go for it now and just hold off on the ferts 'til then. Doing it as a long term setup? Don't know ~ maybe if you keep the population down ~ maybe not at all.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are sponge filters good enough? I've never used one before, so I don't really know much about them. I understand they filter, but do they produce enough air into the water like an HOB would? The cheapest and HOB is where I live is about $35. That is basically the standard starting price, and they only go up from there. I am however, able to get a sponge filter for around $6, but I have always been a little reluctant. Also, does anyone know how to make one without a powerhead (don't have the money, Fluvals [most abundant brand] start at like $45)?

·
Registered
514 Posts
lol, even thought everyone is against it....

you can do it and have a nice tank and they will breed for you too, just make sure you change you're water. ( referring to RCS, as this is the only shrimp i've done this with)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I would say get something that adds flow and its alright. I mean all my filter has is filter floss :p. Otherwise its just for water flow and my fish/shrimp are happy/thriving.

I also have a 2 gallon nano tank and it only has filter floss and I've succesfully bred an A grade CRS with a Wild bee shrimp. Just can't say about the babies... Wild bee babies have already hatched and have moved on to a new home though.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've read here that sponge filters will be fine and are actually preferable since the babies don't get sucked up and the sponge grows infusoria and other no-see-ums that the baby shrimp like. The only reason I mentioned a hob filter is in case I can't find a small enough pump for a sponge filter. I live in the middle of nowhere and it's slim pickings at my LFS. (I really need to just bite the bullet and start ordering fish supplies online. *blush*)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Turbo, I've never been able to wrap my mind around how an air pump works for something like this. Can you explain or direct me to a thread that does?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
. (I really need to just bite the bullet and start ordering fish supplies online. *blush*)
Drs. Foster and Smith. I pretty much gaurentee you will have a good experience:icon_smil every one of my "1 item purchases" come out to multiple items and at least over $40 with shipping:icon_roll

Turbo, I've never been able to wrap my mind around how an air pump works for something like this. Can you explain or direct me to a thread that does?
I believe it creates a little bit of a vacuum which brings debris in the water to it, it also circulates the water. Since there is a high oxygen level in/around it it also grows good bacteria and stuff that helps to filter stuff from the water.

I know it's vague and I'm not even sure if thats right, but thats how I believe they work and how I understand them.

-Andrew

PS. If you really want to not use any filter search the forum for either "Filter less tank" or Daphinia as filtration, you should find the post I'm talking about easily. VERY interesting stuff!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.