The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About how much would a 10 lb co2 tank and everything else cost ? about how long would this last on a 20 gallon tank or something similar like a 29 gallon ? Also how tall is a 10lb co2 tank ? i just want to know before i start building my stand in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
The price for a 10 lb tank really depends on where you live, whether it's new or used, steel or aluminum. There is no way to give an absolute answer other than that at this link they are $73 + Shipping. And that cylinder is 20.5" tall.

How long would a 10 lb tank last on a 20 gallon? Again there are a lot of variables there. But suffice to say at a very minimum of a year.

Beyond that you really need to narrow down "everything else".

·
Registered
270 Posts
A YEAR!? WOW! I had no idea pressurized could last so long, I always figured around three months or so. So pressurized on a nano would last almost forever eh? haha.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah ok thanks and everything else is the regulator , needle valve. if i buy my co2 tank locally can i buy the regulator and etc. from you ? For a manual regulator its 112.00 right ?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
CO2 tanks are a little expensive here. I had a 15 pound that was $85 and a 6 pound that was also $85. That price includes filling though.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
kind of expensive indeed. i bought my 10lb tank for $65 and my regulator for like $77.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
My manual regulators are $112 shipped. And of course you can purchase one from me.

I have two CO2 systems in the house. One running a 20H 24/7 with a 5 lb cylinder. I get about 16 months on that system (lousy diffusion method). The other system is a 20 lb cylinder feeding a 55 gallon and a 29 gallon 24/7. I got 17 months on that cylinder the last fill.

Having the proper tubing and no leaks makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
676 Posts
My manual regulators are $112 shipped. And of course you can purchase one from me.

I have two CO2 systems in the house. One running a 20H 24/7 with a 5 lb cylinder. I get about 16 months on that system (lousy diffusion method). The other system is a 20 lb cylinder feeding a 55 gallon and a 29 gallon 24/7. I got 17 months on that cylinder the last fill.

Having the proper tubing and no leaks makes a huge difference.
Rex, I'd like to know a little more about your C02 set-up :D

Are there any drawbacks to leaving your C02 on 24/7?

How many bubbles per second do you run and are you using one of your reactors or some form of in-tank diffusion?

What kind of C02 tubing are you using?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Rex, I'd like to know a little more about your C02 set-up :D

Are there any drawbacks to leaving your C02 on 24/7?

How many bubbles per second do you run and are you using one of your reactors or some form of in-tank diffusion?

What kind of C02 tubing are you using?
take a look at his guide and you'll answer a lot of your questions.

·
Banned
582 Posts
I got a 15 pound CO2 tank off of ebay for $73 shipped UPS ground. Locally, a 5 pound is $75, filled. My regulator is from *here*. Rex's handmade regulator is basically the same, but less pricey. I got my CO2 tubing from Rex, and I built a venturi reactor.

·
Registered
676 Posts
"I use DIY external reactors . . ." - Rex's Guide.

However, here in this topic he says he's using a lousy diffusion method.

Hmmmm?

Also, I found no information in the guide on what tubing Rex uses.

However I may be wrong and was not looking hard enough.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
well since he highly recommends and sells co2 proof tubing, i can only imagine it's what he uses.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have CO2 tubing for $0.70 a foot.

Ah ha! Your right danepatrick. I'm going to assume it's clippard.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
The diffuser on the 20 gallon is a Hagen ladder. The tank also has a HOB filter. One of these days I need to get a canister filter for that tank so I can use a reactor.

I have no problems running the CO2 24/7. Bubble count is not really worth much. I can tell you that on the 55 gallon I run about 3 bps.

And all the tubing is Clippard tubing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts