The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 55g off of craigslist a while back, and I had a question - nothing important, I'm just curious.
I don't know how old it is, but the sucker is heavy! I can lift & carry an empty 55 ok, but it took both me and my friend to carry this tank into my home from her truck. She commented on how heavy it was, too. The seller had only saltwater tanks - do they make different tanks just for the marine hobby? Or is this an older tank, and the glass is different? I tried to measure the thickness as best I could, and it seems to me the glass on the heavy tank is 1/8" thicker than on my AGA tank I bought 11 years ago. Could such a slim difference in the thickness add that much weight to it?
If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!
Cin

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I never thought of that. The egdes of the glass at the corners are a deeper green color than mine - that would indicate tempered glass, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Oh, I never thought of that. The egdes of the glass at the corners are a deeper green color than mine - that would indicate tempered glass, wouldn't it?
It is a deeper green because it is thicker. Color becomes apparent the greater the thickness you are looking through.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the thicker glass adds weight, but the difference is surprising. I used to work as a picture framer, and the difference between, say, a 5"x8" and a 30"x40" 1/8" framing glass is miniscule compared to the difference between the two tanks. I think tempered glass might be the answer?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I suppose it could just be thicknesses. And I'm getting older - lol.

Why different thicknesses anyhow? Different manufacturers?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know how old the tank is, he told me it was new when they moved to the house last year - I doubt it. There was so much salt crud on everything (he gave me the versa tops, etc) it couldn't be new-ish. What people will say to sell something! lol
He had 5 other marine tanks in his house, and two more empty 55s in the basement.
My original 55 is 11 years old - I bought when I worked at Tetra.
This is def not custom made - it has the cheesy fake oak plastic trim! I'll have to paint it black to match mine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ok so here is my two cents on the matter. It doesn't really matter the age of it. It depends on the manufacturer. Some companies just use a thicker glass. If it WERE an older tank then the edges would look more like an old coke bottle color.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.615655,-88.302814

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I know the thicker glass adds weight, but the difference is surprising. I used to work as a picture framer, and the difference between, say, a 5"x8" and a 30"x40" 1/8" framing glass is miniscule compared to the difference between the two tanks. I think tempered glass might be the answer?
If the your original tank has 1/4 inch glass, but the new tank has say... 3/8 inch... it is 50% more glass...

The green is no indication of tempered. Some glass holds a green color. Some bluish. It is an indication of clarity. Tempered glass is no different in weight, either. It is just a heat process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.