The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to planted tanks and have been growing Anubias and Staurogyne Repens with great results. My Staurogyne Repens has really taken off which gave me the confidence to pick up some more plants. I bought 3 types of Val; Jungle Val, Italian Val and a smaller plant called Contortion Vallisneria. The Jungle Val has pretty much browned and melted away and the Italian Val doesn't look as green as when I bought it with the ends browning fast. The smaller Contortion Vallisneria is actually doing the best. My aquarium is a 20 gallon high and I use a FloraSun "Max Plant Growth" 15 watt T8 bulb. I also use the recommended dose of Flourish Excel. What can I do to improve my Jungle Val growth? Could the Flourish Excel be causing the Val to melt?

Thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
130 Posts
That's not much light, but the jungle Vals at least should be ok, though slow - slow by comparison to other higher light tanks, there's nothing slow about Jungles compared to other plants. Plenty of people will say that Excel melts Vals. Plenty also report no problems or that they will recover and adapt. Which means that yes, it can be a problem. I've used low doses of excel with Jungle and Corkscrew without apparent problems...Jungle vastly out competed the Corkscrew in my tank.

Sparing use of root tabs should help them. Not always necessary though.

Vals prefer harder alkaline water, come from the same place as African Cichlids. The Jungles were weedy and much work to control in my avg. hardness 7.8 ph tanks. Check your water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I will definitely check my water and low dose with excel for a while and see what happens. I really do like the look of the Jungle Val and hope to make it work in my tank. I have considered getting better lights but I'm really not sure on what I need without more research. Feel free to make any recommendations as I'm still learning. I looked at some LED lights last weekend but decided to hold off, for now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.