The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bba outbreak in my tank. I may (did) have treated it a little too aggressively. My Val are melting. This has never happened to me before. Should I leave them be, cut them all down to regrow, or yank them out and start over.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Val's and I am guessing excel do not do well together. Your plants are melting. Unless you're a
Lt over did it they will come back, just be patient and do water changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used excel every day for months. I over did the hydrogen peroxide treatment. I've done daily 50% water changes. I hope they come back. Should I trim them all down or let them go and hope for the best?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've killed plants with too much peroxide to treat algae. If the whole plant isn't completely brown and dead they will sometimes regrow. Just so you know, vals can't handle excel. It melts them.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've used half the dose of excel in the tank for a year with no problems. I went way to heavy with h2o2. I didn't know my wife had treated it a couple times too. Oops

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Shhhhhh. Don't tell my Val's that Excel will melt their faces off, they have doing fine for a year with Excel dose 3x a week. So much, I am taking out all the other plants and making it a Val only tank.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Shhhhhh. Don't tell my Val's that Excel will melt their faces off, they have doing fine for a year with Excel dose 3x a week. So much, I am taking out all the other plants and making it a Val only tank.

How many ml per gallon are you using? Could you also tell us the size of your tank in gallons, please.
Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
762 Posts
excel and vals are ok...as long as you dont overdose it. or it will melt like others experienced. vals can melt when first planting. just leave it alone and once it acclimates to your tank and starts taking off they go crazy.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had this happen yesterday - it looks like the tips are the only thing that have melted. I'm just going to follow the advice and cut the melted parts and do a water change. Bumber, my Val's were just starting to curl over to the other side of the tank like I wanted them to.

·
Registered
588 Posts
You can acclimate Vals to Excel dosing. You just usually have to slowly work up to full dose. Once acclimated they seem to do fine even with a bit more dose then Excel recommends. I've never dosed much more than that so don't know if that would help protect them if overdosing for algae problems though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.