The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
any pointers would be appreciated.

in my planted Discus tank i wanted a wall of val in the back. i had sag in the front. it was dwarf and supposed to stay short.

both were doing great. the val in the back, the sag in the front.
but the sag started to get too tall, it grew to the tank surface 26" up. so i cut up the runners, and planted it the back to have a green wall. there were 100 plants i moved. in the back there was val and sag side by side.

it looked great for a few days then they started to die off. i thought it might be trauma from move. but not all were moved. i thought it might be the val/sag allelopathy. i then removed all the sag from the back area. added new jungle val, and still its doing nothing. the val is barely moving or it dies.

all the time my compacto swords is fine, and my various crypts have thrived

substrate is just sand. last week i added DIY root tabs to see if that would help, so far no sign of boost.
current usa LED plant light
ph around 7, its 50/50 tap and ro mix
i don't do any ferts except these root tabs one time months ago(didn't notice a boost back then, as plants were booming), and then again last week.
i've recently adjusted the lights to full spectrum from sunlight mode as just a guess to see if it helped. i only run it 50% power to help with algae.

i'm confused, the val is supposed to be super easy, but i'm not having luck with it now. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hi,
any pointers would be appreciated.

in my planted Discus tank i wanted a wall of val in the back. i had sag in the front. it was dwarf and supposed to stay short.

both were doing great. the val in the back, the sag in the front.
but the sag started to get too tall, it grew to the tank surface 26" up. so i cut up the runners, and planted it the back to have a green wall. there were 100 plants i moved. in the back there was val and sag side by side.

it looked great for a few days then they started to die off. i thought it might be trauma from move. but not all were moved. i thought it might be the val/sag allelopathy. i then removed all the sag from the back area. added new jungle val, and still its doing nothing. the val is barely moving or it dies.

all the time my compacto swords is fine, and my various crypts have thrived

substrate is just sand. last week i added DIY root tabs to see if that would help, so far no sign of boost.
current usa LED plant light
ph around 7, its 50/50 tap and ro mix
i don't do any ferts except these root tabs one time months ago(didn't notice a boost back then, as plants were booming), and then again last week.
i've recently adjusted the lights to full spectrum from sunlight mode as just a guess to see if it helped. i only run it 50% power to help with algae.

i'm confused, the val is supposed to be super easy, but i'm not having luck with it now. thanks in advance.
Well first what you thought was dwarf sag is Val. Second, Val can be tricky at times and slow to take off even when just relocated. Just be patient and it will take off again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the dwarf sag is not Val.

i get what you're thinking though. the val sent out a runner. but the sag was the mother plant. it sent out a runner under a log, and then it went into tall mode. even though it got tall, it was always narrow blades.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
the dwarf sag is not Val.

i get what you're thinking though. the val sent out a runner. but the sag was the mother plant. it sent out a runner under a log, and then it went into tall mode. even though it got tall, it was always narrow blades.
You stated that the sag grew to the top of the tank, dwarf sag gets no where near that big. It's very common for Val to stay small while it's adjusting to your tank and then explode. Hence why a lot of people think they have sag but it's really Val.

Val on the left via a runner and short, dwarf sag on the right.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Have to agree with lewis dwarf sag can get to 8-10 inch's but no way can it reach 20+ or more.It has to be val.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it wasn't the val. when the sag grew tall, it had a thin blade.

it can grow to higher than expected heights.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/dwarf-sagittaria/

i still have the mother plant in the tank. its continues go grow low.

i read somewhere about how when it grows tall, people move it to back of tank, and it often fades. i don't know where i read it, but i recalled reading it when I moved it. hoping for the best, didn't summon the best.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I had a similar experience with my leopard val. I sold a lot to someone on this forum and after I relocated what I had left, it slowly died.

On a related note - anyone selling leopard val? UPDATE 12/28/16 - I found some!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i found an older photo of when the sag and val was growing well.
i was wrong, it was not reaching the top of tank. it was growing to about 19" high

this might have been the article i was thinking of, if not, close.

"Sagittaria subulata from South America is an ideal, undemanding foreground plant whose short runners form a compact group. Place individual plants 2-4 cm apart. This plant may cause problems because in certain conditions it suddenly grows to a height of 50 cm when it grows older. But if it is then moved into the background it may become low again. In the aquarium it sometimes sends a long flower stem to the surface, and small white flowers unfold just above the water surface"
Sagittaria subulata - Tropica Aquarium Plants

1 - 9 of 9 Posts