The Planted Tank Forum banner

Jungle and CPDS (16 gallon rimless) - updated pics 4/12/11

4556 28
So after almost a year of hiatus, I finally have a tank again! The specs are the following:

Tank: 16 gal rimless
Filter: Fluval 205 with 13mm lily pipe inflow and outflow
Light: 2x24w HO T5 aquatic life 6000K
CO2: aquatek regulator and pressurized CO2
Substrate: Eco-complete and ADA aquasoil II

Planned Flora:
Pogostemon erectus
java fern 'trident'

Plants I already have:
Glosso
DHG
Christmas moss
Blepharostoma trichophyllum - pearl moss
H. pinnatifida
Crypt wendti green
crypt sp? - ID would be helpful
Anubias barteri
Anubias nana 'petite'
lindernia variegated

Planned fauna:

CPDs and CRS
or
Boraras maculatus
or
suggestions?

Today, after going to the fish store and getting some of the plants, I finally started with the tank. It had been sitting with water for about a week now, but more so just to soak the wood. This is what it looked like. The bag of stones was the most stylish element :hihi:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This weekend my girlfriend was here, she is the artistic type, and helped me find a nice scape for the tank. I wanted to go only wood and we came up with this scape. I thought it looked amazing and in all the excitement, had forgotten to tie the wood together in a way that the scape could be reproduced.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice piece of driftwood you got there. I haven't seen decent driftwood at my lfs and I refuse to spend >$30 for wood on eBay.

This may be a stupid question, but why did you put the rocks inside the zip lock bag? Keep us updated with pictures!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I then attached all the plants and realized there would be no way that I could reproduce the scape. So after some frustrating 5 minutes I tied the wood together and came up with this. The idea is that the background will be filled in with the P. erectus and the Glosso and DHG form a lawn all around the scape and in the right side of the tank. I plan on leaving a meadow type feeling in the right and only want stem plants to roughly where the lowest branch forms the bridge.

In the middle of the wood scape I want to plant trident java fern but this is also up in the air since I don't have any yet, and another idea might come along later.

The stones hopefully will eventually be covered in moss entirely and those I want to lay strategically into the lawn with the glosso.
So far so good. I'm overall happy with the scape, only the anubias in the middle I feel are a little out of place and I might have to find a better place for them later. Suggestions are welcome. :help:

However, currently the primary concern is the water to clear up and then we'll see. :icon_smil

Attachments

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I'm pretty excited about this tank, and I think with enough time and patience :help: and the final plants it'll look really nice.

This is what it looks like today after the water has cleared up a little. It's still a little hazy, but I think in a couple more days that should clear up completely.

The crypt in the last picture is the one that I would need an ID for. I'm thinking C. walkeri but I'm not sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today the regulator finally showed up and I hooked up the CO2. Im so excited because by the weekend all the plants should be here and everything should be ready to get this thing rolling.

I also put in a JBL drop checker. It sadly has a black base, and isn't all see through, however, I like how it has a reading scale right with it and thus will keep it around.

Now I'm waiting on the final moss, Glosso/DHG, and P. erectum shipments and then I'm all set. :bounce:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice start! I like the driftwood placement.
Which regulator did you get?
Thanks - I'm quite happy with it, except for the base. I need to think of something there, any ideas are welcome.

I got an aquatek regulator used from another member of the forum and till now it seems to work like a charm.

Now I'm impatiently awaiting the glosso/DHG and final moss shipment along with some PE and Limnophila 'mini'

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Very nice. I like the wood arrangement.

The crypt looks like Cryptocoryne cordata.

Where were you able to get so many Hygrophila pinnatifida? It costs a fortune in the US...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great start!

The cords hanging around the tank are a bit of an eyesore though :icon_roll
Thank you - yea I know especially the heater in the back is rather in your face. But without more money I can't afford an inline heater and consequently this will have to do. I'm hoping to be able to hide it with my background plants that will eventually sit there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.