The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big does J. repens get? I have seen photos and read some threads were it is used as a foreground up to a background plant. Is the height dictated by light intensity or does it take trimming well? I would also like some first hand info on growth rate. Thanks,

-Jake

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It is a weed and takes trimming well, it will grow to the surface pretty fast, its growth properties reminds me of Potamogeton gayi.
Easy plant to grow, not a good foreground plant in a highlight tank, can be invasive, grows to fast, but if kept trimmed very frequently will form a nice bush, but that is a lot of work keeping it that way, actually it is to much work... :hihi:

As with any plant in the right setting, it grows much slower in lower light.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Wolf SnS me some Juncus repens a while back that's doing great. what I do is every time a leaf node grows higher than I'd like, I simply push it down into my substrate and make the plants spread into new territory or down to the same area just denser. so if you leave it alone, it can grow as a mid to back-ground plant. if you manipulate it every Month as I suggest, it can appear like a fore to mid-ground plant, but I suppose that's true of any slow growing stem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is a weed and takes trimming well, it will grow to the surface pretty fast, its growth properties reminds me of Potamogeton gayi.
Easy plant to grow, not a good foreground plant in a highlight tank, can be invasive, grows to fast, but if kept trimmed very frequently will form a nice bush, but that is a lot of work keeping it that way, actually it is to much work... :hihi:

As with any plant in the right setting, it grows much slower in lower light.
Hello, can you recommend a plant (max height 10cm) suitable for background in a betta tank please? Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts