The Planted Tank Forum banner

Jumping back in...lotsa babies...

11487 Views 116 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Mbrman
Hey Everyone,

Was an aquarium enthusiast way back when...life took over back in '95 and I gave my last tank to my neighbor. Now here I am, 27 years later, retired with a few spendable bucks, looking to start anew.

My plan is to set up and cycle the tank, then probably throw in about 20 Neocaridinas, then probably 20 green neon tetras a bit later.

I just pulled the trigger on a big ole list of stuff from Amazon...please throw some advice or criticism my way if you disagree with any of my choices...i love hearing opposing opinions! Here's my order...

Landen 60 x 45 x 45 30 gallon rimless tank with matching black Landen stand...
Oase' Biomaster Thermo 250 canister filter...
Twinstar 600SA light with Bluetooth controller/dimmer...
Coralife 3x turbo twist UV sterilizer...
Inkbird temp controller...
Inert Flourite substrate...
Plus all the other extra stuff like lily pipes, etc.

THis will be a low tech, low maintenance, island style tank...mostly 'cause I'm freakin' lazy!

I bought a bunch of spider wood (my fav...) a while ago, and have a couple scapes in mind. I'll be sure to update often as I go...thanks for following along!

Dave
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

· Registered
3,682 Posts
Can’t wait to see what you put together! Love that tank size too... I got a 29 tall and really wish I had gotten a 30 instead, that extra length and slightly lower depth would be just perfect....

· Registered
6g office nano, 20g aio cube, 2 x 40g breeder community and 75g
930 Posts
Hey Everyone,

Was an aquarium enthusiast way back when...life took over back in '95 and I gave my last tank to my neighbor. Now here I am, 27 years later, retired with a few spendable bucks, looking to start anew.

My plan is to set up and cycle the tank, then probably throw in about 20 Neocaridinas, then probably 20 green neon tetras a bit later.

I just pulled the trigger on a big ole list of stuff from Amazon...please throw some advice or criticism my way if you disagree with any of my choices...i love hearing opposing opinions! Here's my order...

Landen 60 x 45 x 45 30 gallon rimless tank with matching black Landen stand...
Oase' Biomaster Thermo 250 canister filter...
Twinstar 600SA light with Bluetooth controller/dimmer...
Coralife 3x turbo twist UV sterilizer...
Inkbird temp controller...
Inert Flourite substrate...
Plus all the other extra stuff like lily pipes, etc.

THis will be a low tech, low maintenance, island style tank...mostly 'cause I'm freakin' lazy!

I bought a bunch of spider wood (my fav...) a while ago, and have a couple scapes in mind. I'll be sure to update often as I go...thanks for following along!

Dave
Hi Dave! Welcome... I like your choice of canister filter. You'll like the ease of maintenance with the prefilter. I pull the sponges off the prefilter and rotate out two sets during my weekly water change. I've never used a UV sterilizer, but maybe it will save you some glass scraping. Looks like you got it pretty much handled. With an inert substrate and low tech use root tabs where you have heavy root feeding plants.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone! Been a member since I retired, but never made a post.

I ordered the sterilizer because I remember always having to deal with ich or some other malady. Hopefully it will reduce or eliminate that crap!!

I dont plan on using any stems...pretty much just going to be anubias, java fern, some buce, and maybe some fissidens.

Dave

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey all....while waiting for all my stuff to arrive, I've been mocking up a couple scape ideas with the spider wood I bought earlier. I have one more shipment of regular spider wood coming, and 2 pieces of black spider wood coming. I plan on going with one of the the 3 ideas...please pick your fav!

Bear in mind that on all scapes I'm going to be adding extra wood here and there, but the overall look is there. All wood and scapes will be "island style" with a lot of rocks around and under the wood. Substrate will be Flourite sand. Please let me know what you think!

Just a note...the filter foam the wood is sitting on is 60 x45 cm...same footprint as my tank. The top horizontal line on th chair is about the correcy depth...I really want to shim this scape enough to have wood poking through the surface.

Please disregard all the other crap inthe pics...

Wood Twig Automotive tire Automotive design Chair
Hood Wood Natural material Automotive design Gas
Wood Twig Metal Art Fashion accessory

Hood Wood Natural material Automotive design Gas

Wood Twig Automotive tire Automotive design Chair

· Registered
468 Posts
As a fellow returnee (just 16 years away) I look forward to following your journal. I like your choices but agree the sterilizer is likely overkill.

Do you have plans for a quarantine tank? I'm setting up a quarantine tank or maybe two, 10 gallons each, at the same time as my main tank comes online. I have all needed equipment for the quarantine tanks, but may get new heater.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As a fellow returnee (just 16 years away) I look forward to following your journal. I like your choices but agree the sterilizer is likely overkill.

Do you have plans for a quarantine tank? I'm setting up a quarantine tank or maybe two, 10 gallons each, at the same time as my main tank comes online. I have all needed equipment for the quarantine tanks, but may get new heater.
The sterilizer may be overkill...but it cost $119 with the extra UNS quick disconnect I needed in order to add it. To me, that's money well spent to potentially avoid illness, not to mention the clearer water it should provide.

No plans for a quarantine tank...I only plan on adding livestock twice tops... hopefully the UV will help here.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Dave! Welcome... I like your choice of canister filter. You'll like the ease of maintenance with the prefilter. I pull the sponges off the prefilter and rotate out two sets during my weekly water change. I've never used a UV sterilizer, but maybe it will save you some glass scraping. Looks like you got it pretty much handled. With an inert substrate and low tech use root tabs where you have heavy root feeding plants.
I agree...looks perfect for a lazy fella like myself! Already went ahead and ordered extra prefilter sponges so I can even procrastinate on washing the used ones!

Dave

1 - 20 of 117 Posts